• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Then Let Me Inclume My Country too!

A promo for The Launch here in Brazil back in the 1980's! They wanted it To Rival The Hyper Success Globo had Showing Dallas (They did Show All 14 Seasons and Even rerun it!) Unfortunately it wasn't as successful here, as much as I know it didn't made past Season 2, and I only know that because Of a Dubbed Clip with Heather Locklear as Sammy Jo!

Now The Reason I Came Here, Let's All Try to save it Please

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There is a ton of Dynasty content on TikTok that mirrors the older youtube "S&*$ that Alexis Said" video compilations and it reminded me of how authentically funny the show could be.

I think the memory of John Forsyth's deadpan delivery on those Forever Krystal perfume ads clouded my memory of the fact that the show had at least one or two laughs per episode.

Not only was Joan Collins an underrated comedian, but Linda Evans and Pamela Sue Martin had some great zingers.  I was just watching the scene when Kirby is threatening to shoot Alexis, and Joan Collins's ability to play cool-under-pressure while disarming Kirby verbally was too fun.  The modern version was obvious camp, but the 80s scripts were more subtle and clever in their use of bon mots.

I mean who could forget Alexis meeting Fallon in her first episode in the courtroom by greeting her after eight years with "I'm glad to see that your father had your teeth fixed; if not your tongue."?  That is some Shakespearian level shade. 

BTW, I still don't get the setup of Alexis's condo.  She had a private elevator entrance, but apparently there wasn't a doorman because at least once a week someone appeared unannounced and unwelcome.  The same was true for her office where Dominique could swish by at any moment.  You'd think someone like Alexis would have a better secretary to keep the riff raff out.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Dynasty mentions in SOD Best and Worst.

1984: Most Daring Plot, Best Dressed Women, Best Dressed Men, Thumbs Up!, Gimme a Break!

1985: Biggest Waste of Talent, Worst Casting

1986: Most Melodramatic Show. The Colbys got Best Prime Time Casting.

1987: Most Pointless Show. The Colbys got a mention in Gimme a Break.

1988: Worst Storyline, Most Ruined Show

1989: Best Enemies - Prime Time

The write ups are posted here Classic Soap Opera Digest News on Tumblr - #Best & Worst

1985 is incomplete on Tumblr but the missing write ups (text only) are here Voldemort Best & Worst -- 1985 - Daytime Royalty (daytimeroyaltyonline.com)

Edited by kalbir

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I was doing some late night digging around about the '80s soaps and stumbled across this. Ralph Senensky is a living legend, one of the Golden Age of Television directors, doing a ton of work on everything from the original Star Trek to Dynasty. He chronicles his extensive experience on the Dynasty pilot and first season in the Dynasty section at the link. He's still going strong at 99, and this blog appears to have been written in the last couple years. You can also find extensive entries on the many, many other shows he worked on.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Been watching a youtube channel that does Star Trek reactions and one of the reactors cannot stop raving about Ralph Senensky. Might suggest they react to Oil since they've been doing a few pilots lately to test out what shows might spark their interest. Bit of a long-shot though as I'm sure if I do suggest it, my suggestion will be drowned out by other people's.

They did really enjoy The Gaurdian on the edge of Forever but it was obvious that they weren't familiar with Joan Collins lol (and of course Joan Collins didn't show up on Dynasty until the second season anyway).