Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I get that they wanted to create an air of mystery and possibly danger around Dominique when she arrived in Denver, but I couldn't understand why she kept her connection to the Carringtons under wraps for so long, or why she was trading catty remarks with Alexis as if they were longtime nemeses.

Other character: "Just who ARE you anyway, Ms. Devereaux?"

Dominique: "Who AM I?  That, my dear, is for me to know, and for you to find out...eventually."

Khan (watches): "Oh, girl, just tell them who you are so we can move on!"

Edited by Khan

• Members

Don't forget --

ALEXIS:  If the champagne is too 'burned' for your taste, then don't drink it.  The caviar I trust is not burned.

DOMINIQUE:  I really wouldn't know.  This is Osetrova, and I prefer Beluga.  

ALEXIS:  Who the hell are you?  

DOMINIQUE:  Who am I?  You will find out soon.  Very soon. Yes, very soon indeed.  

BRODERICK:  (watches) Just tell her who you are and that the caviar is as burned as the damn champagne, plus you're too busy for this silly nonsense.  

• Members

I adore the way Joan Collins pronounces all of the D words.

She over-enunciates Devereaux as if to imply that Dominque is pretentiously using a European pseudonym, and purses her lips when saying Denver as if it was too tacky for someone to stay there.  One imagines that none of those things were written in the script, they just came from playing a character for so long.

Also, who knew owning a couple of chic little cabarets would earn enough income to indefinitely rent the Presidential Suite at La Mirage?

tumblr_myk7t47JK01qc41wuo2_r2_250.gifv

• Members

Maybe the Presidential Suite at La Mirage was deep-discounted for the off-season, lol.  

It just got SO stoopid.  It was nice that they had a super-rich and super-powerful Black lady on the show, but her only "talent" seemed to be tossing her fur stole over her shoulder dramatically, which put her on par with Alexis, whose primary "talent" was whipping out a long brown cigarette and a gold lighter, taking one puff, and glaring at you schemingly through a delicate haze of smoke.  

• Members

They really needed to have a better sense of which circles characters existed in. Not to keep picking on Diahann Carroll, but Dominique's a great example of this. Is she a household name or isn't she? Or, a little later, that Lady Ashley knew Amanda back in London. Who know Hugh and Rosalind Bedford were so connected?

• Members

I like the way she calls Mr. Colby "SESS'L".  

I have a friend named Cecil.  We always pronounced it with a long E.  SEE-sel.  

But during the 1980s, we all called him "SESS'L" and blew a plume of smoke whenever possible, to stand in union with Alexis.  lol.  "Got your math homework done, SESS'L??"  

• Members

And that whole Amanda thing was dumb as hell.  

One of the Shapiros evidently said, "Let's find a girl who looks sort of like Princess Diana, have her be from London, and marry her off to a prince.  Our poverty-stricken audience will think every rich family has a princess in it!!"  

We'd already had Adam spring-up out of nowhere, and then Amanda suddenly dropped out of the clouds.  It made you wonder if Blake and Alexis actually had fourteen or fifteen children and had forgotten all of them except two -- woops, three -- woops, FOUR!  

• Members

It was all kinda handled in the dumbest way possible.  If they were dying to have a Princess Diana, they should've had her be a Colby who was already married to a prince.  Plus that could've spared us from a guerilla massacre or two. 

• Members

The dumbest thing about it was that they then pretended Amanda just didn't exist. Like, I get soaps don't necessarily like to mention characters that are off screen too much, but I'm pretty sure in season 8 there were references about how all their children (Adam, Fallon and Steven) were there. Amanda who? What's an Amanda?

That was definitively something that Joan added in herself - apparently the same thing as calling Caress "Cassandra" and Sable "Sybil". Apparently Joan thought the names were stupid and obviously not something that someone would name their children, so I guess the implication was that they took these fake names to fit in.