Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

1989 is one of my favorite years due to the kidnapping and Robert Barr stories.  I agree the 1988 was silly and trying a little too hard to be comedic.

However, I appreciate the character growth of Kelly in 1989.  Beginning with the kidnapping she showed a spark and a sense of agency that differentiated her from damsel-in-distress Eden.  In fact, I would say that developing the individual characteristics of the Capwell daughters was one of the main themes of 1989.

As I've previously noted, there was so much regression when the Dobson's returned.  Due in great part to their ignorance of how Kelly, Mason, and Eden had grown in their absence.

Also, never listen to people on Facebook, it never leads to anything positive.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed I think 1989 got a lot better once Robert Barr was there, and I liked CG's portrayal of Kelly.

I thought the kidnapping storyline was awful and never want to see it again lol. It made no sense- at least not to me. But I'm also not generally into baby storylines of any kind.

Lol re FB. Yes that is usually a mistake.

Edited by Keri

• Members

Been around santa Barbara fansites for years and for what I read most people favorite years are from 1985 to 1987.

But from 1988 to 1989 Santa Barbara kinda became the Cruz and Eden hour so I think there are fans of the couple who vote 88 and 89 their favorite year because of that

In my case I have stopped watching after the Cruz and Eden wedding, Gina in a cult, Chip kidnaped, a randon manhunter, T.J. as Kelly's best friend........ because sorry to say but the show has become terrible. Maybe I return again but it was really painful to watch

• Members

I think 1989 is excellent for many of the stories. The Robert Barr storyline was wonderful until early 1990 when they didn't know what to do with it. I also liked the Laura/Michael storyline until that also just sputtered to a "conclusion." I think SB has many moments of brilliance, but as I've written so many times, there was a lack of consistency and follow through, and that's present from the beginning to 1991 (I don't know much that happened after Roberta Bizeau's departure). 

• Members

So far, not much Santa Barbara. He is just a GREAT storyteller! He talks about visiting his childhood home with Elizabeth Taylor, and the woman letting them in because she was Elizabeth Taylor. He talks about crossing the Atlantic a few times, and does an amazing job describing the rough crossing through a sea storm. At one point he is talking about an amazing man he met who was a war hero. Says he admired the man, but they lost touch. Then says he(Nicholas Coster) was young and in a rush to not miss anything but missed so much. It is just packed full of really cool stories.

I am slogging through 88, but I don't like it. Sonny is making me laugh, but I prefer Mason. I truly believe that Eden's rape won SB the 88 awards. It is a good story that is played well. 88 is also the first block vote. But my favorite year is 85-87. Not even going to apologize. From the point where JA wakes up from the coma. 

In 88, everyone is in a bubble. Eden was raped and her mom doesn't show up? Before that Sophia smacks Kelly for sleeping with TJ? NEVER. Sophia might slap Keith, but not her daughter. There were too many weird unexplained character changes in 88 that makes me feel like, "okay, this is a good show. Well acted. But these aren't the characters I've grown to know or love." And one more thing: Lionel vanished without a trace. Mason dies, and there isn't even a throw away line from Julia about how he can't come to the funeral? Again. No. Who are these people?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Watching Christy Duvall’s rape storyline for the first time and hoping it gets better. Maybe it’s through the 2022 lens but so far, everyone is annoying me.

While we know Ted is innocent, he’s still a moron ignoring everyone’s advice and confronting Christy multiple times hoping to get her to change her mind. I like Mary but I never saw her in this storyline. She seems to be really unaware of what was going on in her family and I can’t tell if the ott way she’s acting now is misplaced guilt, though it’s probably just more for angst with Mason.

I actually felt the most for Christy during this and I don’t think we’re supposed to. Yes, she was lying and isn’t particularly likeable but her upbringing and everyone in her life sucks and she tried to get away from her family only for them to show up in Santa Barbara. Her mom and sister were in such denial about Steve at the beginning that who knows whether they would have even believed her had she told the truth.

• Members

It's not a storyline I liked. I couldn't get past Christy lying about Ted doing it. 

I also for some reason found Ted's interactions with her off putting - like before the rape- but I can't remember what about it specifically. 

Same when he started out with Hayley. 

• Members

For classic TV buffs/ Santa Barbara fans: The first two actors who played C.C. Capwell share a scene or two together in an episode of the 1960s TV show 12 O'Clock High. The show stars Paul Burke. The episode "The Jones Boys" (Season 2, Episode 13) has Peter Mark Richman as one of its guest stars. 

It's hard to believe that Paul Burke, the lead in two classic TV shows from the 60s, Naked City and 12 O'Clock High, could be so god awful acting on Santa Barbara, but seeing is believing. Peter Mark Richman made some poor acting choices too as C.C. Capwell, but at least he had the gravitas, and I would have liked to have seen him continue for a little bit more.