Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

I hate Scott more everyday. So tired of always angry. It is so boring! And it's funny, because I did watch once in a great while. I knew who Scott was back then and didn't mind him. I sort of knew stories, not well, but sort of knew. I just wasn't aware of how angry he was.

Anyway, I just watched the credits for episode 1152 (or 1151?) They actually had a psychic consultant! The 80s were so weird. No wonder gen X is weird too. I embrace my weird, but I gotta call it. 

And more on weird: I love Mason. I love the quipping dude. I love the Shakespearian quotes. I loved Gina's daydream about being Frankenstein's Bride and bringing back Sonny. But it's Lane Davies as Frankenstein's Monster who sits up and quotes Richard III. Things like that are why I loved this show. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some months ago, the last episodes I saw was Kelly telling Eden and Cruz about her miscarriage.

Robin Wright and Marcy Walker delivered wonderful performances in those scenes. But everything else was so bad so I quit the show. Maybe I will try to watch again soon. But most of the stories were really bad at that time.

Edited by Connelly

• Members

It's still pretty bad. 88 and 89- I didn't mind the story with Pamela. I didn't mind the initial story with Mason going to the convent and then Julia.

Bits and pieces of Gina and Bunny I didn't mind.

But hated everything else until Robert Barr came at the fall of 1989.

(Neutral on the rape storyline, never watched it).

Edited by Keri

• Members

I just... don't feel anything towards them. And the forced nature (via executive production and writing) is so off-putting. I found other Cruz-potential pairings and Eden-potential pairings better than this so-called love story being told. It has always been my believe Joe & Kelly should have been the soap's golden couple. But, the [mis]recast of Joe just destroyed that pairing for good.

• Members

Now, you really watched what I call a "custom" version of SB since you completely blocked out the rape, the biggest storyline of, what, two years? You did yourself a favor. It is SO hard to watch.

Well, good for you. It really is a case of being force-fed! Your resistance must have been strong! SB to a large degree was couples - Cruz & Eden, Julia & Mason, Lionel & Augusta, to name some.

• Members

Well I'm a Cruz and Eden fan, but even I found their storylines in 88 and 89 unwatchable, until Robert came. And I hated all the sentimental stuff.

For me actually the decline in their storylines started as soon as Elena died in 1987. It was sort of this gradual slide down into crap lol.

I did also like Robert and Eden quite a lot and wish they had taken that pairing further.

Yeah that was why I skipped it, I don't usually watch stuff like that, it has an impact on me. But I may try again when I get to that point.

• Members

I didn’t mind Cruz/Eden but I didn’t find them compelling to watch either. They were too saccharine for me and it did seem like Eden was destined to be a messier character when she first debuted so I got bored with her after a while. When it came to the show’s bigger pairings, Mason/Julia, Lionel/Augusta, and Keith/Gina were much more fun to watch for me. 

• Members

I don't mind Cruz and Eden. I like them. Not a fan of baby napping, because why do ALL of the babies on this show have to be kidnapped? There's only so much babynapping that can occur before the population of a city would start electing different people. I can see Nancy and Bob Smith sitting at breakfast. She asks what is in the paper. He answers, oh the most recent Capwell kid got kidnapped. She says Really. What is that, third or forth time? He says Yeah, we need to move. 

I love Julia and Mason, Lionel and Augusta, even Kelly and Jeffrey (before TJ). My favorite is still CC and Sophia. I just don't care for the personality shift in her character. But I suppose it gave JM something to do.