Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It confirms my hypothesis that 1960s Sofia was a bit more conniving.  She wanted to make sure that Channing (aka Lionel Jr, aka Brick) would one day own the keys to the kingdom. 

Meanwhile, supposed bad guy CC still kept Channing's son in the will, even after he found out that he wasn't Channing's biological father, and the son he raised had been switched at birth.  I'm just saying, justice for CC.

• Members

I agree about CC. He wasn't as bad as the family often made him out to be. But Brandon isn't just Channing's son. CC officially adopted him. I really do have an enormous soft spot for CC, and think he was often misunderstood. Especially in the later years. He loved his family very much and tried to protect them. It's just that his attempts were usually misguided. 

• Members

It annoys me that Brandon, who was essentially a major plot point for the first year of Santa Barbara, ultimately became a persona non grata by the end. After 1987 he just disappeared when an uncredited actor portrayed the role. By 1990 (my choice) or even 1991, when the Dobsons returned to co-executive producer alongside Paul Rauch, Brandon should have been slightly SORAS'd and pushing story. Trying to overtake his adoptive siblings, and then with the return of Santana, it would've created a major shift between Santana, CC and even Brandon. Plus, adding Gina into the mix? Amazing.

• Members

I'll never forget the Emmy Awards where either he won or Gina won, with the cute little guy who played Brandon so much, just dancing excited! Endearing.

I have a question. I need to be able to tease out an original cast list. Just those that were there, say, the first week. Anybody have any idea how I could accomplish that? Thnx.

• Members

What I really want is to know exactly what characters Bridget & Jerome created. They did the whole show bible, yep. And, common sense says that they did all of the original cast members. Now, where I lived at the time the NBC affiliate did not show SB either the first year or later, the last year.  Infuriating, I know. But, so, I didn't get to watch that. Is the first week up on YouTube? Because I could get at the info that way, by watching & making notes.

No, I haven't. I will! Thnx.

Edited by Tonksadora
Wow! Great find, this French SB site.

• Members

I think you can find the first week. I'm going by memory but first week: Mason, Kelly, Ted, CC, Joe, Jade, Marissa Perkins, Joes Dad- can't remember his name, Rosa, Danny, Santana, Augusta, Minx, Warren and Lakin. Lionel came a few weeks later. Sophia (Dominique) a few weeks after that. Julia was a couple of months into the run. Cruz was a few weeks in. Eden came in for CCs birthday. 

It was ADORABLE when Justin Gocke won the Emmy. 

• Members

This was the cast from the first week of episodes (July 30 – August 3, 1984):

Series regulars:

• Dame Judith Anderson (Minx Lockridge)
  • Valorie Armstrong (Marisa Perkins)
  • Robert Alan Browne (John Perkins)
  • Ismael "East" Carlo (Ruben Andrade)
  • Margarita Cordova (Rosa Andrade)
  • Lane Davies (Mason Capwell)
  • Rosemary Forsyth (Sophia Armonti/Dominic)
  • Andrea Howard (Veronica Gayley)
  • Ava Lazar (Santana Andrade)
  • Todd McKee (Ted Capwell)
  • Stephen Meadows (Peter Flint)
  • John Allen Nelson (Warren Lockridge)
  • Rupert Ravens (Danny Andrade)
  • Melissa Reeves née Brennan (Jade Perkins)
  • Peter Mark Richman (C.C. Capwell)
  • Julie Ronnie (Laken Lockridge)
  • Louise Sorel (Augusta Wainwright Lockridge)
  • Dane Witherspoon (Joe Perkins)
  • Robin Wright (Kelly Capwell)

Recurring/episodic guests: on-going recurring characters in italics

• Philip Abbott (warden)
  • Ian Abercrombie (Phillip)
  • Frank Avila (policeman)
  • Carlo Allen (Burt)
  • Jim Boeke (bus driver)
  •  Doug Boethin (Jeremy Thomas)
  • Arthur Burghardt (television reporter)
  • Ed Dogan (warden's assistant)
  • Rick Fitts (Jake)
  • James Hornbeck (Mr. Forbes)
  • Margie Impert (news reporter)
  • John Jackson (helicopter pilot)
  • Geof Prysirr (henchman)
  • Bill Saito (Ambrose)
  • Robert Brian Wilson (Channing Capwell, Jr.)
  • uncredited actor (Bill Larwin)
  • uncredited actor (Nick Salvi)
  • uncredited actor (Miss Thomas)

• Members

I really am loosing patience with 88. Cain does nothing except yell about everything. Scott always yells. Constantly angry is one note and boring to watch.

Kelly is a nimrod! She hated TJ for everything he did to Sophia, but after her miscarriage, TJ was the bestest ever! And she's all oh Snookums, you're so dreamy. Then, Kelly gets into a fist fight over him? Poor Kimberly McArthur wasn't that bad, but she was saddled with an impossible storyline. 

Sophia slapped Kelly? Again, no. 84-87 Sophia would have NEVER slapped her child. Under any circumstances. 

Sonny. We wanted Mason, not this dude.

I do admit Sonny's reactions to Gina as she explained the Capwells had me rolling. 

This show just feels off the rails to me, and not in the good way.

• Members

Hm. I'm not quite there yet, but, based on what I know, it sounds like Jill Farren Phelps & company were definitely taking what was a uniquely-created soap opera and tried to streamline it to be as the others, and it wasn't. I may have plenty of issues with the Dobsons, but their creation was unique.