Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That is sad news. Being a Clevelander and Cleveland Indians fan, I remember well the domestic violence charges she faced against her then-husband, Chuck Finley. It really wasn't known to the public at that point that she struggled with addiction. I feel for her daughters and hope that Tawny is at peace now.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

All Mason/Julia ever had were spoilers - and Mason's drinking. Still, I did like TK's Lisa. And agree she probably could have survived as her own character with her own romance, etc. Funny how her Lisa spoke here of not inheriting her sisters' blonde hair and blue eyes considering Temp Lisa/Lisa #2, Téa Leoni, had exactly that. (Okay, I remember. TL was just a temp. Tawny Kitaen did come back and played out the blackmail by Robert Barr before leaving for good.)

Edited by Wendy

• Members

RIP Tawny Kitaen...

I think Lisa may have been the only female friend that Mason & Julia ever had, even though she turned out to be a spy. I really liked her.

You must have seen just bits and pieces of the episode, because there were several scenes of people hearing what was going on. The screaming didn't begin until right before Kelly pushed Dylan out, and Gina was outside the door hearing them (even though she thought Eden was in there). Nick heard the noise in the elevator on his way to that floor. Cruz, CC and Ted were in the hotel lobby and heard the commotion as well & the clerk was getting calls from other guests about the commotion. So no straining in that regard 

Kelly pushed Dylan out of the window by shoving a cart into him. That, along with the fact that she feared he was going to kill Nick (who she believed was outside  the room), makes it believable enough for me that she was able to push him out.

Also, the notes that Kelly had left for Nick but directed Dylan to the hotel insteadmade it seem like she had lured Dylan there as a trap. People may have known that Dylan was stalking Kelly, but Kelly was hardly stable herself at that point so I totally understand why self-defense was not proven. Remember, her story was that Dylan had a gun, but Gina had taken the weapon from the room, so the evidence didn't back up her story. It made Kelly seem like a confused killer, and she did make several self-incriminating statements after the incident.

It was a well-written and well-acted story.

Janitor? No, he was just a couple of classes ahead of Kelly. In fact, it was mentioned that Peter was teaching both Kelly and Joe before Channing was killed.

Edited by soapfan81

• Members

Having been rewatching the early episodes, I can confirm it is true.

But even then j swift's point stands, I think. Joe and Kelly weren't as creepy since he was not the janitor but Peter being her teacher in HS certainly is even creepier as he had direct authority over her!
So I still take "Plot points that really didn't age well" by $1000, Alex.

• Members

I feel like Roseanne Rosanadana getting all my "facts" wrong today. This make more sense.  Was Keith the DA at the time?   Because, he always perverted justice when it came to the Capwells and I stand by my assumption that anyone would have believed Kelly acted in self-defense.

Just so I wasn't 100% wrong, I went back and checked and Joe apparently did work-study with the custodial staff to pay for tuition at Kelly's private school (who had apparently didn't do background checks when they hired former gigolo Peter Flint as their physics teacher).  Warren referenced the issue with his mother who was flirting with Joe when she hired him as a handyman at the Lockridge estate.

However, it does beg the question once again as to why Danny Andrade attended Lyman High School with Ted Capwell and Laken Lockridge (as seen in their caper with the camel in Mr Bottoms' classroom), but Santana went to public school with Cruz, Keith, and Victoria Lane.  Didn't Santana grow up at the Capwell estate?  I wonder when/why Rosa and Ruben moved to their own place?  Or were they always day staff and Santana just accompanied her mother to work sometimes?

• Members

Did we ever find out why Rueben vanished? Also, weren't he and Rosa supposed to have had more children that we never got the chance to see.

Rosa's relationship with Mason was always a highlight for me. You really got the sense she was his surrogate mother.

• Members

Here's the only mention of Ruben's exit that I could find from the Tumblr Soaps of Yesterday's 1984 posts

I find not only the Rosa/Mason relationship a missed opportunity, but also Santana as the Cinderella step-sister to Eden and Kelly, subsequent Santanas always played up the Brandon and Cruz angles, but I wanted more exploration of her motives based on growing up in the same house but with different privileges and an in-tact family.  Did she resent Mason's devotion to Rosa?  How did she feel about Kelly?  Her upbringing seems to have been overlooked in order to make her into a viable love interest for CC and Mason, even though if you think about for more hat two seconds that is kind of gross, given that they knew her as a kid. (to @FrenchBug82's point about stories that literally don't age well).

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm not good at mind reading, but from this article, it seems as if everyone freaked out at the initial low ratings (remember it debuted against an extremely popular summer Olympics games on ABC, and CBS was showing great success with the expansion of Price is Right), given the expense of the show (they built a new sound stage and the hand painted flooring in the Capwell atrium alone cost over $100,000 to make it look like tile but still be quiet enough for production) so like most decisions made to please the masses, they got rid of the outliers, which in this case meant the Latinx cast.

To make a gross comparison I ran some numbers, $30 million in 1984 is the equivalent of $76 million in 2021.  DAYS entire production budget for 2020 was $26 million, meaning that they tried to produce as many shows at 34% of the money given to SB in its first year.

Edited by j swift