All: Which Head Writer Is Next To Go?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As an EP, Gary Tomlin's track record isn't very good. However, if paired with the right HW, I think he could do some amazing things for AMC. If his tenure at SUNSET BEACH means anything, he loves humor and satire, two things that have been a part of AMC's legacy.

The downside, of course, is that Tomlin might be drawn to AT, and therefore mandate that his writers give him more story.

• Members

Agreed. If anything, Tomlin loves to have fun, which is desperately missing throughout ALL of daytime. Why don't today's EPs and HWs realize how compelling comedy can be? I suppose it's much tougher to do well - and I definitely don't want to see AMC devolve into the pseudo-"Gilmore Girls" zinger-fest it has been in recent years.

• Members

At first I was worried that Carlivati might be fired from OLTL, but if he has lasted this long and if the strike ends soon as it could, then I think he might end up staying, which would be very good.

However if he does go and is replaced by Gary Tomlin, I wouldn't be SO upset.

• Members

As I've said before (in another thread), Gary Tomlin's not that bad as a writer. I can't say anything about his stint at DAYS, because that was before my time, but I do remember his work on ANOTHER WORLD and SEARCH FOR TOMORROW, and I thought most of it was pretty good.

• Webmaster

I might be proven wrong down the road, but my gut tells me this:

AMC - B&E only returned in December because they were flat out told they wouldn't return if they stayed out on strike.

GH - Wolfe and Conforti have been promised Head Writing positions when the strike is over. With increased ratings and a jump on February Sweeps (by tying Y&R in demos), this will give ABC more reason to do this. Added with more cast integration and positive fan response as of late, it just might happen. Otherwise, going fi-core gained them nothing more than hate from their fellow writers.

OLTL - Ron Carlivati will return. His soap bible is still running, even though he didn't write the dialogue. He has appeased the cast and crew at OLTL like no writer has done in some time. Frons has to take note of this. The ratings are steadily improving and the show is currently beating its lead-in (AMC).

On top of all this, the ABC soaps as a whole have surpassed their November Sweeps numbers in Viewers and all demos recently. The last time the ratings were where they are now was in October 2007.

Archived