ABC Adresses Cancellation Rumors.

• Members

I really hope this is sincere. I must say ABC would be foolish to cancel their soaps given as how they get extra free profit by reairing it on Soapnet at night.

Days should never be brought to ABC especially not at the expense of any of the ABC soaps. Sorry, but Days can go to Fox daytime, that may be the best fit.

ABC keep your lineup as is!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ABC Daytime is going full steam ahead alright.... into the path of an oncoming train. Sorry but my faith in daytime and soaps has really been smashed to pieces this week. I am just in utter shock at what is going on at AMC....

• Members

I don't think ABC has immediate PLANS to cancel any soap, but they'd be fools not to be discussing alternate programming for when these soaps fail. And I think AMC and OLTL are coming close to failing. Without some action, they will. I think Disney is discussing HOW and IF they should act at all. I suspect they realize Frons' vision is a failure, but they don't have a replacement one.

This would explain such mixed signals. One show gives HBS an unexpected 4 year contract ..and given what is playing out on canvas, it wasn't planned by the writer. At the same time, AMC axes BOTH Cady McClain and Julia Barr.

• Members

I think DAYS' opening is one of the best, AMC's good, but including Zarf on the show period is just a part of the downfall of AMC. He takes up way too much airtime. I'd prefer the bit he got as a guest star back in Oct or Nov and that'd be it. I'd rather see Julia Barr, Vincent Irizarry or Cady McClain. Oh well, they can show Zarf all the time on that show if they want, because I'm quitting AMC after Cady's gone-----that's after over 25 years of viewing.

• Members

I want to believe ABC. I REALLY want to believe ABC.

And I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but ABC cancelled PORT CHARLES with no ending or resolution in the middle of OCTOBER! The announcement was made in July 2003, I believe. And there was NO announcement in Pasadena for it, either.

Screw the "announcement in Pasadena." The SECOND ABC announces to their affiliates what to expect, the affiliates will do what they are told. Period.

Screw that. I'll believe it when I see significant, great changes made to ALL MY CHILDREN and ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

I'll take the comment at face value. If 4th Hour TODAY performs even SIGNIFICANTLY better than PASSIONS, the other two networks will, no doubt, look to copycat.

• Members

It's very hard to buy this but I hope it's true.

Even if true, I wonder how long their stance stays that way with so many fans pissed about vets leaving and such. If ABC soaps do stay, I hope they improve and make the changes needed to become what they should be.

As for Days, I agree about Zucker's words. I said it in the other thread-they want it to fail. They want it off the schedule. They thought Hogan would make an instant impact on numbers and he didn't. Only now our the numbers beginning to rise. Now they are deadset more then ever on getting out of soaps and, if Days does better, they can't do that. They don't want to support it anymore and that was made clear. Now it's going to be hard for faves to return and for new fans to watch knowing what is going on. Plus, you are losing Passions and the affiliates may drop Days too knowing the future. Losing Passions means another loss chance to promote Days during the hour.

Seriously, I'm almost at the point where I think Days should start looking for a new home because if the ratings drop as a result of all this NBC will can it well before 2009. I know the risk of moving it but why stay someplace where it's been made clear you aren't wanted at all after providing over 40 years of entertainment?

Corday and Sheffer are probably pissed and Corday is probably already working the fans. Again, I hate any soap being lost for Days but I am just stating the reality of everything here. Days won't die in or around 2009. It's going somewhere. I am not saying that because I love Days but it's just the way things are likely to be IMO. Like Kenny said, this could turn out very bad for it or we may get a miracle and it will be great. We just don't know. This year is going to be a huge year for soaps IMO.

• Members

Zucker ain't going anywhere. He was just prompted to CEO in late 2005. Plus, NBC is starting a rebirth with their primetime lineup with the addition of Hereos and Sunday Night Football. And shows like The Office and My Name is Ear arel increasing in the ratings. Unless something disastrous happens or he gets promoted, Jeff Zucker will still be CEO of NBC Universal Television Group in two years. And my guess is that whoever takes over of Jeff will cancel Days, too.

Archived