ABC Adresses Cancellation Rumors.

• Members

Didn't see this posted yet and thought I would post it for you ABC folks. :)

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700017101

This week, NBC announced their decision to cancel Passions in order to add a fourth hour to Today. The Peacock network also made it clear that they'll let go of Days of our Lives when their obligation to air the long-running sudser expires in 2009. Now there's widespread Internet buzz that ABC will copycat NBC's move by adding a third hour to Good Morning America — and cancel either All My Children or One Life to Live to make room for more GMA on the network's daytime schedule. "It is absolutely not true," an ABC spokesperson insists to TVGuide.com. "If ABC had an announcement to make, they would have made it last week at [the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena]. We're in a good position with our daytime dramas and moving forward full steam ahead."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This makes sense to me. Something is obviously going on at the ABC soaps, especially AMC and OLTL. The hirings and firings, whether good or bad, are signifying some sort of change. I don't see them anticipating the cancellation of either soap right now with the things they've been investing in them lately.

• Members

I think ABC are perhaps the network who most want to make their soaps work. I think it's beyond Frons now, hence why OLTL is now featuring some of their older characters. I think someone higher up at ABC is wanting changes made to the soaps. They see GH as their blockbuster, slice of primetime in daytime, soap, and I think they're trying to turn OLTL into a Y&R type soap with appeal to older viewers as well as younger ones. The only show that I dont think they have a clue what to do with is AMC, its as if one minute they want to totally transform it into this hip, young, MTV friendly soap, and then the next they're pulling back on it. AMC is on shaky ground, and mark my words, if Erica Kane was played by any other actress and not the TV legend that is Susan Lucci, she'd be on recurring.

• Members

But we've known NBC have wanted out of the soap business ever since they pulled the plug on AW nearly ten years ago. ABC appears to be the network proudest of its' soaps. Days will end on NBC in 2009 but my guess is it will turn up on another network. I just hope if it goes to ABC that they dont interfere with Corday and (hopefully) Sheffer, and that they dont change Days' opening to a generic ABC one.

• Members

LOL omg can you imagine the ABC daytime version of the DOOL opening? Kate will appear all vamped out and fly across the screen! Alice is sitting on her rocking chair for 1 split second with Maggie and another oldie flashing in and then fading out. They'll start it off with either Bope or Jarlena and end it off with Sami.

• Members

I am going to hold on to this sliver of hope. I don't even watch Days very often and I'm mad at JZ for coming out with that comment about it not likely to last. :angry: Way to pour salt in the wounds of the NBC fans. What an insensitve ass. I don't think these network execs realize that a lot of people have a lifetime attachment to their soaps.

Archived