Ugly Betty: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I see what you're saying Eric, although I've kinda been seeing that before this eppy. The psycho caseworker, for instance. Wilhemina. Alexis and Daniel trying to outdo each other. Part of the charm of the show is the blend of campy and drama, of satire and heart. I think sometimes the mix may not be right or maybe there's too much of one and not the other. It's hard to really describe it. Some episodes are definitely more appealing to me than others.

I was actually more focused on a couple of obvious edits and how things were "off" from one shot to the next. Like the stuntwoman falling off the horse with her back to the camera and then it's America. Or how when Betty first runs to Henry lying on the ground, his glasses are down his face but in the very next shot she's picking them up off the ground next to him.

Still, I do really love Betty & Henry and the inching along of their relationship has been sweet torture. :lol:

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG! I cannot wait for season one to come on DVD> I can watch this show over and over again. Amanda and Marc are hilarious, when Amanda was all insulted they replaced her as the welcome wench! And then Wilhemina egging Marc on to hit her. Man, I flove this show. I hope its showered with emmy's. Its the freshest show to hit t.v in years IMO. Every episode just gives you camp, drama, hilarious comedy, human emotion. Its a great mix.

• Members

Chris Gorham has been doing a celebrity blog for TVGuide.com. He just did his final one a few days ago. There are some cute behind-the-episode tidbits and he talks about his favorite episode (Fake Plastic Snow) and about the Betty/Henry romance. He's anxious for it to get it off the ground and beyond the flirtations just like we are. :lol: He also talked about the set they used as Mexico. From the way he spoke, I couldn't tell if he was just talking about being on the set or if Henry goes to Mexico, too. :P

• Members

Loved tonight's show, esp. the Mexico stuff. No wonder CG was talking about the time he spent on the Mexico set, what with Betty hallucinating Henry there. :P Can't wait to see the finale...maybe they'll actually let them kiss, lol. :lol: Rita Moreno was funny, the stuff with the grandmother was touching, as was the final Betty/Ignacio scene.

• Members

I hope not. Ignacio and the relationship with his daughters is a big part of the heart of the show. It would really cast a pall (no pun intended) and just be weird if Betty, Hilda and Justin tried to be funny after his death. My guess is he'll either spend a couple of episodes or a chunk of next season in Mexico. I feel like they've built up too much of his story and background to just easily kill him off in the first season.

• Members

I doubt Ignacio will die. I think it'll be Santos. The actor left to do another show (Drive?) and it was cancelled, maybe it was to give him an out whether he'd return or not. He'll die or almost die, and it'll be a cliffhanger (because Becki and Michael said in the UB podcast that there were several).

• Members

That's what I'm thinking, too, Pest Spray. One of the things I read said something like they left it possible for the person's return, which he/she may want to do now because of something that's been happening. Wasn't worded like that but that was the gist of it. I couldn't think of anything that might have changed for Ignacio/Tony Plana but Santos makes more sense.

Now if they brought back Rita Moreno's character to Queens, that would be cool. She was hilarious and it would give the girls a female/mothering presence. Even if she's soused. :lol:

This series really got into my head. I had a dream with some of the characters the other night...Betty, Henry, Amanda, Mark. We broke into a clothes warehouse at night and were kind of goofing around. :P Fun group, lol. ;)

• Members

Really loved last week's episode. I loved what Amanda did to that designer when he kept bashing her. Season finale looks great, though I'm sad Betty's father can't return to the states, but she's gonna fight for Henry. Yay!

• Members

The finale looks really good. Lots of stories built up to create cliffhangers and start-off points for next season--Benry, Ignacio's problems in Mexico, Daniel's downward spiral, Alexis putting a hit on her father, the Hilda/Santos relationship.

They must be looking to cast Rosa's 1st husband (or did they already?) as the guy going after Ignacio. I wonder if they'll get another well-known star...they've done really well with folks like Rita Moreno, Patti LuPone, Judith Light. Somebody like Edward James Olmos (if he were available) would be perfect.

I really do love Ignacio's relationship with both his daughters. Very loving and patient, with a sense of humor thrown in, but also firm when he needs to be. He knows they are both tougher than they think they are and he gets them to step up to the plate and take care of business. I also love how there's no judgment on his part towards Justin. I love how, for all the quirks and problems the family has, they love and support one another deeply. Will be great for Henry when he marries into the family. ;);):P

It's funny...I hadn't planned on watching UB at the start (wasn't on my list of shows to record) but I watched anyway, fell in love with it, and now it's the show I will miss the most during hiatus. :( But I do have my tapes. :)

Archived