Ugly Betty: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

PEST SPRAY, DEAR GOD ALIVE!!!

I completely forgot that Jer-bear and Rebecca Romijn were dating/engaged/whatever! That IS classic, if not UNHEARD OF! Quick, does anybody know if this is a television record?! :o

As for Justin, I disagree wholeheartedly. Sorry, but I can't buy into the liberal agenda on this one. If that were a REAL subway, most of those people wouldn't be clapping when Santos (?) stood up for Justin. They just had one prejudiced person on that subway (who was vocal about it) because UB has a huge gay following and those shows like "Will and Grace" like to change the "rules," so to speak.

No, on a real subway, I'd imagine that SEVERAL people would hurl the "f" word, if there wasn't any violence.

Whether you like it or not, this world is unkind. Be gay or straight or whatever...just live by gender roles, mannerisms, behavior. I think that's the best rule, anyway. Realistically, you're less likely to be targeted.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jinkies, I'm not saying Santos is right to push basketball and sports on Justin; but I DEFINITELY don't think they should condone and encourage him to sing "Rollin' on a River" or some other HIGHLY flamboyant, even girlish song on public transportation, where your own peers aren't going to support you, and you CAN be a target for a hate crime.

Sorry, but I side with Santos. Not the one who shriveled up and gave in last night, not Pod Santos, but THE REAL Santos.

• Members

Of course it'd be different on a real subway. However, the subway is the least of his problems. Do you realize how many young gay men and women commit suicide because their parents don't accept them for what they are? Of course Ugly Betty's not realistic, it's a telenovelasortasoapishdramalicious tv show.

• Members

I actually admired Santos last night when he did give in, its about growing as a person and loving, defending, and accepting your child. And that, in my opinion, was the point of the entire scene not PSAs on singing show tunes on public tranportation.

• Members

While I agree that the 'moral' of the scenes last night was about parental acceptance and support, it ALSO sent the message that parents shouldn't worry about their boys acting so flamboyantly at such a young age, singing show tunes and frankly, vamping up, in PUBLIC.

Again, my whole thing here is that I disagree with it because we DON'T live in an accepting world. His parents aren't doing their No. 1 duty -- protecting him -- by giving people ammunition to hurt him with.

• Members

I'll agree with that. It's a fun show that you can just be entertained by. For a good romp, watch"Ugly Betty." That's why I watch it too. But when I critique anything, it's because I've studied television critcism and I do have an interest in analyzing the messages that television shows send. I find that aspect fascinating too.

• Members

I finally got to watch the episode and i loved it...I really like how this show has revolved into a great ensemble show..with the supporting characters getting more airtime..and i'm loving Rebecca Romain...I saw a taping of Ellen with her as a guest, and she seems like such a sweetheart...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived