Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Serial Drama's Best and Worst of 2012

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

IDA. It should work that way. Why talk about stuff they don't watch? If we had done a Best/Worst on this forum, I really wouldn't have much to say about Y&R, bc I don't watch it myself. Its only honest and fair

Well, now that I know they don't claim to be journalists, I agree with you.  They don't have to be objective.  See, that was easy, wasn't it? 

#22 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

laugh.png !!!!

Most Nonchalant Dispatching of a Legacy Character (To say nothing of his status as a paid murderer/deity)
"Jason? Meh...", General Hospital

wub.pngwub.pngwub.pngwub.png

Most Welcome Character Death
Robert Ford, One Life to Live

9b8e50fa.gif

+ 1 at this table

#23 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I stopped reading Serial Drama when they basically became a mash note to our saviors, but I'm glad to know they're still around.

#24 JaneAusten

JaneAusten

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Well I agree with them about Days, and everyone else in the "soap press" are so protective of this show because of the "great" Wilson romance. I'm giving up on Days as of today along with Y&R. While I think the show is better in some respects, it's just predictable and boring and yeah that includes Kristen, who I think they are wasting on yet another weak story. And I love Greg Vaughn but this role is just flat. He was better and more enjoyable as Lucky.

Edited by JaneAusten, 31 December 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#25 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think their list is very well-written, although it reminds me of the power of hype. I barely even saw Robin fans praise that exit, much less anyone else - the show didn't make an effort, and didn't someone at the show tell the press that they didn't make one because Robin wasn't dead? If so, then it deserves scorn.

The John/Sam/Jason "triangle" was barely that - Burton quit early on and apparently audience reaction to John was cold enough that he began vanishing for lengthy periods of time.

I don't think they mentioned Y&R at all, which is probably the right idea these days.

#26 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Like dang, who did he piss off

0CZs0.png

#27 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

There are some good choices here. I LOVED the Anna, Emma and T&B shoutouts!

I stopped reading Serial Drama when they basically became a mash note to our saviors, but I'm glad to know they're still around.

They just seem like sweet, fun ladies to me. Their reactions often crack me up.

#28 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

They just seem like sweet, fun ladies to me. Their reactions often crack me up.

They're nice, and they are still very good writers, I just think it all became interchangeable fangirling and a lot of the humor and originality of the site went away, especially with less soaps on the air. Even now the stuff like the praise for Robin's funeral feels like a press release. I end up coming away with the idea that most soap blog and press talk about the divine Ron and Frank is some sort of groupthink, because it all just blurs into one. I don't see that as much on boards - even when fans on boards love what's happened to GH, I still hear individual voices. I don't with most of the soap sites anymore, sadly.

Edited by CarlD2, 01 January 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#29 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 23,487 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

0CZs0.png

Yummmmmmmmm...2013 tap that...hahaha

#30 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

They're nice, and they are still very good writers, I just think it all became interchangeable fangirling and a lot of the humor and originality of the site went away, especially with less soaps on the air. Even now the stuff like the praise for Robin's funeral feels like a press release. I end up coming away with the idea that most soap blog and press talk about the divine Ron and Frank is some sort of groupthink, because it all just blurs into one. I don't see that as much on boards - even when fans on boards love what's happened to GH, I still hear individual voices. I don't with most of the soap sites anymore, sadly.

ITA I tried reading it this year but everytime they post about GH it's to praise Cartini.

#31 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Serial Drama and SON groupthink tank are guilty of the same thing, the exception being that their extremes steer in opposite directions.

SD = Cartini fans

SON groupthink tank = perpetual Cartini haters

#32 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

The truth is I'm smacko in the middle. I think Cartini have done a reasonable job making GH a very engaging show, just like they did with OLTL. But I recognize their very glaring, sometimes enraging shortcomings (see: The Brothers Pectoral Fords). I appreciate what they've done for GH and OLTL, but even with all that, I still can't bring myself to sit down day to day and watch GH. Something about it REALLY bothers me and I cannot put my finger on exactly what it is.

#33 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,713 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Serial Drama and SON groupthink tank are guilty of the same thing, the exception being that their extremes steer in opposite directions.

SD = Cartini fans

SON groupthink tank = perpetual Cartini haters

I'd say a number of posters here like GH at the moment. The difference is they don't express this in quippy, stale sitcom-esque platitudes.

#34 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'd say a number of posters here like GH at the moment. The difference is they don't express this in quippy, stale sitcom-esque platitudes.

Considering that at least 75% of the monthly threads on the show are filled with (often baseless) complaints, I strongly disagree with you.

#35 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Considering that at least 75% of the monthly threads on the show are filled with (often baseless) complaints, I strongly disagree with you.

And I think most of your posts are full of baseless praise considering sometimes you come on praising their work for the day without having watched the show.

#36 VirginiaHamilton

VirginiaHamilton

Riff-Raff's Boo

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

And I think most of your posts are full of baseless praise considering sometimes you come on praising their work for the day without having watched the show.

I believe I asked you and your other screenname to stop posting to me.

#37 chicklitsandfantasies

chicklitsandfantasies

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I believe I asked you and your other screenname to stop posting to me.

One screenname and I can post whatever I please. Craptini aren't the sun and the moon can't take a critique then don't gush about them like a fangurl.

#38 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

The truth is I'm smacko in the middle. I think Cartini have done a reasonable job making GH a very engaging show, just like they did with OLTL. But I recognize their very glaring, sometimes enraging shortcomings (see: The Brothers Pectoral Fords). I appreciate what they've done for GH and OLTL, but even with all that, I still can't bring myself to sit down day to day and watch GH. Something about it REALLY bothers me and I cannot put my finger on exactly what it is.

It's the writing.  Disjointed, plot pointed and convoluted.  There is no consistency or continuity and if not for nostalgia of characters from the past, GH would truly be seen as the collosal mess it is.  Nothing makes sense, and you can't rely on anything that comes out of the mouths of the characters.  It just might be a good idea to allow one or two breakdown writers to handle a story arc as opposed to daily passing the characters around to different writers.  Perhaps that might help. 

Case in point, AJ Quartermaine is back, and for the life of me, I don't know why.  It started out strong (mostly thanks to LC) and now flopping right before our eyes.  The current "writing" has "AJ is a loser written all over it".  Instead of a battle for ELQ, silly Lucy is the tie breaker?  Why not let AJ do battle with Carly, and when she really pisses him off, use Michael by revealing that Todd was a rapist.  She would have to let Todd go, at least for a little while, and think about how to get AJ back.  Having her team up with Tracy would be a great way to start.  As it stands, Carly is Todd's woman with not much else to do, and that is ridiculous.  Seems like the meat of the story left after week one.  FRon are just too simple to "go there".  To take a story beyond level one is a foreign concept to them!  This is why they settle for camp.  Look at the effort being put into Kawny...

Need I say more?

#39 OldGHFan

OldGHFan

Contract

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I agree with the Serial Drama Ladies.  Not perfect, but pretty good.  <ducks>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users