Y&R April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

OG Harrison should have been replaced much sooner -- like, after 2 appearances.

nuHarrison is good, but we'd feel more attachment to him if he were around longer. Keeping the kid with the hair for so long made no sense.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Little OT: does anyone know if Lana del Rey is a Y&R fan? She played Nadia's theme twice in her 2 Coachella sets and she's used the phrase "Young and restless" quite a few times in her songs. Plus Y&R used to be very Old Hollywood - which matched her style.

(you can listen to Nadia's theme at about 01h:03

• Members

Has anyone noticed how absent Nick is in Summer's life?

Also, you can easily forget that Abby is Victor's daughter since she never interacts with that side of her family? Not to mention, I thought it was strange that Abby was missing from the "Ashley intervention" episodes. I think part of it is that Abby as a character has never really "popped."

• Members

Abby needs to go. The show proves how inessential she is every day when they isolate her from BOTH her core families. That’s $$$ that could be used more profitably. Although a better writer would be necessary. (Hoping Steve Kent’s reported departure makes that happen…)

We talk about how Reed is missing from this Claire/Victoria reveal. This show barely acknowledges Newmans actually on the canvas outside of Victor/Nikki/Victoria/Nick or Adam when a convenient whipping boy is needed.

Nick’s relative absence in Summer’s world has been a huge WTF. Perhaps because they don’t see him as credible in that role? OK? So now what? Gonna do anything about that, folks? (I don’t mind him as Summer’s dad, but he struggles with the Noahs. He’s great with Faith but that’s age-appropriate. Too bad Faith isn’t a thing.)

This show is such a frustrating waste.

• Members

Yeah, the Newmans are kind of a mess. Victoria's kids, outside of Claire, are MIA. Nick kind of floats around in limbo with no real purpose. Outside of Summer, none of Nick's kids have worked as characters since they keep trying to present Nick as a dude in his 30s. Noah and Kyle should be leading the 20-somethings. Christian is a missing non-entity. They never really even tried with Faith. Adam feels VERY repetitive, and IMO the show would be just fine without his character for awhile. Abby is not even thought of as part of the Newmans it seems as she rarely interacts with them.

• Members

JMO here, but once his kids get to adult stage, Nick seems to struggle to perform as a father. I haven’t watched nearly enough episodes in recent times to discern whether it’s the writing, the acting, a chemistry thing that has result from so many recasts of Noah and Summer (in addition to the SORAS) or lack of direction in each scene but in recent years, I have noticed this.

• Members

TPTB at Y&R/Sony could have nipped this in the bud 10-12 years ago, having him improve or replaced but they chose not to, perhaps they approved of what he was doing with his performance. And here things stand, with Nick seemingly unable to demonstrate a fully organic parental relationship with his adult children.

• Members

The character feels so stuck. Obviously, they want him to still be a viable leading man (he looks good) and JM has his fans, but the character is just flailing around in circles with no end in sight.

Mal tried to take him to the dark side with Nick impersonating JT and launching Dark Horse, but it was obviously a poor fit, and the return of Adam (a more authentically dark character) shortly followed once Mal was out and JG was in. At that point, they could only generate story for Nick through Adam. 

We’ve done Phyllis redux with both Gina and Michelle, both flops. Had Nick/Adam vying for the same woman again, flop. They seemed to open to the door to Shick redux with the Cameron Kirsten story, but obviously something is going on with Y&R and Sharon Case. 

• Members

Zuleyka Silver is a goddess.  The character of Audra was more interesting at first, but even when she is written with less fire, Zuleyka somehow finds a way to show Audra's inner fire.

I can't stand Tucker.  I find Trevor St. John to be annoying and smug.  
So I don't want to see Audra with him at all.  Audra deserves better!

• Members

Ironically, Sharon has proven to be capable of convincingly portraying a mother to her adult daughter. Perhaps because that chemistry with CG was allowed to grow as the viewers watched the character and the actress grow (oh, the possibilities when you don’t SORAS the actress).

• Members

They really had Abby on the show today at the same time both her families are going through the Harrison crisis on the same episode. Also she doesn’t seem to know her mom has lost her mind either. Who and what does Abby do all day to be this disconnected?

• Members

4-16

First thing first...I cannot believe they split up Danny and Cricket again. I can't believe even more that I feel a way about it, too. LOL!!! I mean, I feel like they almost always getting close...VERY close...only for them to be tore up again. I would understand if they would use LLB more. But if they are not, I would not mind them writing her off to a happy ending with her clear sweetheart.

Well...that kidnapping Harrison/Jordan story is off to an interesting start. But perhaps it's because I see possibilities there. Before the kiddnapping, Kyle/Claire had an interesting chemistry. And given how the writing has been setting up Summer vs Claire, it's just a new wrinkle...and creates a triangle. I hope the end of this leads to a more organic reason for everyone else to have distrust of Summer. Not that Summer was in the wrong. But it does give a good reset. 

AL is love so far in this. And I'm surprised that MM is rising to the occasion. 

A loved character. Moreso for the actress playing her vs what is being written for her right now.  

Very good. lol. But I'm bias. 

I also agree...outside of his father scenes which IMHO JM does pulled off though I agree SC pulls it off better...there really isn't much for Nick to do. And I mostly definitely don't want him back with the giggly heffa. 

I will say that while I didn't want Nick vs Adam over a woman again...I thought Nick/Sally/Adam was surprisingly good at the start. It was only when they threw in a baby that that flopped. 

Even though he don't deserve her, it did look like they were circling back to Shick after Cameron...that story just fell apart. 

• Members

I would love to know what people would do with Nick if they had the power. Fire JM and recast with a more versatile actor who’d be credible as a father to Noah and Summer? Stick him back with Sharon and play him in “Dad to the rescue” stories, maybe with Faith back full time? Drug addiction/traumatic brain injury? Career change? Lean into JM’s fratbro goofiness with more comedic stories? Or just ditch the character entirely or send him away for a while because he’s just not that interesting? 

Y&R doesn’t seem inclined to do any of those options, so they float him in repetitive leading man/business stories are DOA simply to appease JM’s fans. He’s obviously not going anywhere but he feels like dead weight to me.