B&B: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

B&B has a weird history because of its ups and downs.

1987-93 is excellent of course because of Bill Sr was in charge, with some obvious missteps here and there which is fine because Bell Sr also gave us two of his finest creations, Sally Spectra and Macy something unique to B&B.

1994-96 was just bad because Thudley was inexperienced, and we got weird stories like the statutory rape stories with Dylan & Jessica, that Jasmine girl falling down the Spectra elevator shaft, Michael Lai, Brooke going inexplicably insane, and a cake fight between Rick Jr and CJ etc.

There was an amazing summer 1997-early 1999 renaissance of B&B, but it fell apart again. 2000-2005 is pretty much B&B’s silver age and Thudley kept that period fairly consistent minus some mistakes and yet ever since then, with Taylor coming back the show has been in some sort of freefall.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

That's pretty much the gist of it.  Although I think the first half of 1995 was better written then the second half. It went down hill I think after Sheila's goodbye party...That's when you start to really see Thudley's inexperience, although anything of course back then was way better then today. 

I definitely agree about 1999-2002 pretty much, although Brooke became the "slut from the Valley" those years because of her relationships with Thorne and Deacon (and anyone else I forgot..LOL) and sadly Bradley always falls back on that with Brooke, while making every other character look like a huge hypocrite. That started even earlier then that when Taylor slept with James in 1994, and Stephanie decided to keep it a secret from Ridge, without fully condemning or accepting Brooke wasn't always the problem when  it came to Ridge.  That's years of storyline potential and devastation that could have really shook the idea from Steffy and Thomas that their sainted mother isn't the saint she always appeared to be. 

Edited by YRfan23

• Members
Posted (edited)

I find late 1993 to early 1999 really lacking in comparison to mid-1999 to 2005. Overall this period was somewhat of a second GREAT period of the show. I myself haven't laughed more than watching episodes from this era and I find the whole Slut from the valley era very entertaining. But yes, the show lacked class and dept, which some people will say the show never had, but I personally believe IT DID, at least till 1994. The 1999-2005 is like a trashy version of the gold period. 

The 1994-1998 period had some of the biggest storyline stinkers and boring stuff this show has even seen. I will only say that the current 2020-2024 is worse.

If you ask me I barely now even remember some of the stuff from these years, which is telling.

As soon as 1999 started going to Thorne and Brooke and the Stephanie/Brooke war... the show was good again. 

2006 to 2009 there was a drop in quality and Donna repeated some of Brooke's old storylines which started to really annoy me. Stephanie also became a complete joke and caricature in this period.

2010-2013 had some good moments with pure camp trash...

But now bringing it back to current day... even 2013 seems so amazing compared to what is being released at this moment.

Edited by Althea Davis

• Members

So, how many times has Thomas asked Hope to marry him at this point? Dude, get a clue! As someone else mentioned, why do characters feel like they must constantly get married.

I groaned when it looked like...Poppy was going to tell Finn that he was Luna's father. That would have been beyond creepy and offensive, and I hope that's not where we're headed. That being said, I wish Poppy would just tell Luna who the hell her father is.

• Members

2015/16 were pretty good with CaRidge and Raya

That's literally not what she was doing, it's not headed that way. Where do y'all get these ideas from? The show has literally made it clear that Jack is the father. now they could be backtracking to Bill.

• Members

Like someone said - I barely watched as it was - but another dead Sheila and more Liam and creepy Thomas,  and dead brain Finn suddenly lovin dead Mom, Ick. I tell ya —I’d give one hell of a Fentnyl storyline and give this cast an enema. 

• Members

I'll never understand why they sidelined Brooke and Thorne so quickly. I thought KKL and WH had AMAZING chemistry, and the story just upped her rivalry with Stephanie. Then, after all they did to get together, their whole marriage ended in like one single episode, so that Brooke could go back to Ridge. IMO, Brooke has always been much more interesting without Ridge.

I really believe that's what they were teasing in the Poppy/Finn dialogue...that Finn could be Luna's father. Finn's whole..."Why would you come to me with this?" etc etc.

I would hope that's NOT the case, but this show has done freaky, offensive stuff before. Remember when Ridge started to romance Bridget...the girl he thought was his daughter and sister at different points? So, creepy. Yet, they went there.

That being said, I wish they would just say who the hell Luna's father is, and there has to be more to Li hating her sister than Poppy screwed up at a hospital gift shop job Li got her.

• Members

Yeah I liked the 2014-2016 era. It felt like different dynamic. No ridge/brooke/taylor or liam/hope/steffy. Caridge &the avants were a breath of fresh air. & the show was lucky to have charismatic actresses like Kim Matula, Rena Sofer & Jacqui woods. In the spotlight.

It got kinda ridiculous the 2nd half of 2015. But I think it picked up a little 2016 and had some good stuff. After that bold went downhill tbh.

• Members
Posted (edited)

With all due respect, this is at least the second time it's been hinted.  I don't wish it true either.  When was it literally made clear Jack is Luna's father?

Edited by Jeff

• Members

What I don't get about Hope and Thomas is that... The whole saying No thing would have worked if this was in the 80s. Nowadays marriages in this soap rarely last more than a year, so if Hope was referring to a forever commitment as in at least one year commitment, I get it... but come on Hope, look at your mother... You should know better than to use words like Forever. Haha. In a year she will be married and divorced with Finn and Sheila will be laughing in the corner.

• Members

I would have dropped the Deacon-story altogether. It did too much damage to the character of Brooke, and frankly it was out of character for her as well. Another plus is there would be no Hope..... 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I disagree completely. It was IN character. This was a person that slept with a father and his two sons before that. She is clearly perverted and sick. And this storyline was the most fun in the show's history. Complete binge-worthy guilty pleasure. Haha.