GH: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nina has always been apeshit crazy, especially in the Stafford years. She has always been a privileged, unhinged socialite and Watros has never taken her too seriously onscreen IMO, just like Annie. There is always an edge of camp hysteria to the character. (Her performance as Kelly the AA member on Y&R was visceral and wrenching but more grounded IMO, so she is capable of modulating when she wants to and a character warrants it - Nina doesn't.) So yes, what needs to happen is what's needed to happen for years: Let Nina be Nina and go apeshit, stop trying to make her into a heroine or a doormat and let Watros do what she does best before exiting.

It has infuriated me for several years now how little he gives to Brook Kerr, who works this show with real dedication like she's been helping to hold it up for 10-20 years as opposed to what, 3 or 4.

• Members

With that mind, what was even the whole point of Nina's arc anyway? I mean for years she's always wanted to find her child and reunite with him/her and yeah, she did eventually find her kid, (or kids, if you want to get technical), but she's never managed to build on a lasting relationship with her.

If Nina was supposed to be apeshit crazy, then she should've been a short term character and not last as long as she did. If she was supposed to be a long term character, then she should have at least shown some character growth and actually learned to mature and be a better person, and that really hasn't happened, especially after Nixon Falls. 

It just feels like a whole massive waste of time to me. It probably would've been better if Nelle was just Nina's kid and she had absolutely nothing to do with Willow. And now I think is a good time for the writers to cut their losses with Nina and have her shipped off to a mental institution for the rest of her life and have nobody mention her ever again. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

There was never a point beyond getting Michelle Stafford from CBS, letting her go nuts onscreen again, and then (at that time) RC thinking she would soar playing a wacky antiheroine/whatever opposite Roger Howarth which proved unpopular. Everything since then has been flailing, including the recast and the musical chairs with the secret kid(s).

Like so many characters currently onscreen, Nina has run far, far longer than she should've on contract simply because FV either didn't want to give up a get from another network or didn't want to invest in new characters or popular returns. It was executive inertia, combined IMO with Maurice Benard taking a shine to Watros and being tired of being paired with LW/Carly. The distaste for the Sonny/Nina pairing has seeped off the screen from the writing team in an unprofessional way IMO, and Mo and Watros do have a smidge of chemistry (certainly more than him and LW) but that's never changed the fact that Nina should not be a 10-year veteran lol. Nor should most of the long-running post-2011 cast. (Ava is a whole other can of worms, but I think she can still run a bit longer.) So many of these people are not needed, especially when you know that Vanessa Marcil among others is out there.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I would suggest that at some point Mo decided he wanted to do ... well, that he wanted Sonny to do her. And for whatever reason that was accommodated. Not saying he always gets what he wants but at least some of the time he does. Now we seem to be past that, so looks to me like the iron is HAWT! 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Sounds good

Please register in order to view this content

I always said, for Sweeps, Pikeman should just plant bombs everywhere and blow Port Charles to kingdom come, but that storyline’s over lol

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

One thing I wish Korte and Mulcahey would correct is Laura being the mayor of PC.  That's...never sounded right to me for some reason.  Especially when I think she'd be more useful running a women's center with Liz or working as some sort of youth/women's counselor at the hospital (or both).

• Members
Posted (edited)

No way. Laura is the center of PC and enmeshed in so many stories directly because of that role. She shows up as part of so many situations all the time specifically because she is 'Mayor Collins'. It feels totally right to me. Laura doing 'social work' offscreen was what kept her bogged down in the late '90s.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don’t mind Laura being the Mayor. 

The only thing I can’t get over though, is that no one in town has a problem with the Mayor being besties with the local Mob boss

Please register in order to view this content