Days: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wait a minute. 

What time are Eric and Nicole going to the hospital if Li is going on his date at the same time?

Also, this is Li's second date, and Abe was rescued the day of his first date, so did Paulina wait a day to see in Abe in hospital?

And are Dimitri, Gwen, Gabi, & Stefan just walking up to people to invite them to their respective weddings?  Whatever happened to invitations?  And honeymoons?

• Members

It would have been a much better story if Leo resisted Dmitri for even a second.  Or Dmitri actually thinking he did love Gwen and could make the marriage work.  There isn't a slow burn to anything as usual. 

Marlena is a really good shrink despite what we think.  She cured Whitley in under an hour.

@j swift I had the same question about Eric/Nicole/Sloan et al.  No one said anything about Marlena almost dying at Whitley's or about Abe being alive when Belle, Brady, Eric all had scenes together.   I am wondering if we are watching a full day for people in certain stories (Abe, Li) and that same day over again for other (EJ/Nicole/Eric).  What I am trying to say is Monday's show on Days is Monday, but Tuesday's show is meanwhile elsewhere in Salem's full day on Monday.  I don't know it's very confusing because some weeks it feels like we are following all the characters chronologically through the same day.  It seems like an editing thing. 

• Members

@carolineg & @j swift  All I know is that this has been several times now when it's been night & day in the same episode at an overlapping time. At least that's how I describe it. 

@JAS0N47 Hey! Do you have any idea why this "day & night at the same time" thing is happening?

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

I think that's an excellent theory.  Everybody knows that people in Salem have a fondness for repeating themselves, so it makes sense that we are seeing the same hour replay over several days.

I'm starting to think we're actually seeing EJ's twin, CJ, because I don't recall him being so amusing.  The whole Lamaze/Little League teasing of Eric was fun, and I enjoy a bit of banter rather than having grown men rage at each other all the time.  Having seen the actor in web interviews, it seems like the writers are finally adjusting the character to play on his charismatic strengths.

Eric is my current favorite guy in Salem.  His relationship with Brady and Sloan are highlights for me.  The only saving grace of Brady waiving a gun in front of his daughter, was the scene when he had to explain it to Eric.  Eric wasn't judgmental, but he also didn't support Brady's impulsive behavior. To paraphrase En Vogue & Salt N' Pepa, what a mighty mighty good man, and I can see why everyone wants to have his baby.

My only note for EJ's character is that I wish the writers would clarify his stakes in wanting to be a father as much as Eric.  EJ seems motivated by wanting to keep Nicole. But, why not emphasize the idea that EJ missed out on so much of Johnny's upbringing (due to being dead for a while) that he really wants to go to Little League and school meetings?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I agree EJ is trying to right his wrongs with a new chance at fatherhood. You would think it would start with his current children, but he doesn't seem overly invested in Johnny or even mention Sydney.  I think JS's EJ was pretty interested in at least having children if only to continue his bloodline. 

It's hard to reconcile DF's EJ with the previous EJ.  It truly is a different character.  Honestly, the show probably should have just cast DF's EJ as some corporate raider trying to take over Dimera or something.  I think DF is good and likable-just not EJ.  And when you think about it, the show hardly capitalizes on EJ's history-Stefano's gone, Sami's gone, Sydney's not around, he barely interacts with Johnny.  If DF played a new character he wouldn't have had the weight of Ej's history and audience expectations plus he could have still done that Stefan/Kristen/Megan rivalry stuff as someone taking over their business.  

• Members

You could almost understand if Leo/Dmitri had long term longing for each other and grew into a love story where the obstacle was Gwen and both wanted to do right by her.  But, no, it's nothing but lust between them and a minute of hesitation on Leo's part.  It doesn't even make sense.  If Gwen finds out he will lose the only person in town who likes him, his "home", and his job for a magic penis.  He's not a villian-he's just a horrible person and an idiot.

• Members

@carolineg & @AbcNbc247  Agree that they are rushing through it & missing all kinds of possible beats that might be interesting.  Would guys think it ridiculous if they had just kissed once & stopped?

And, about DanF's EJ, I like him & I never liked James Scott's. I do know that the actor thinks of the character's long history as stuff that happened a very long time ago. I was conversing online with him for awhile. Nice guy, interesting, loves his job. Didn't try to pick me up. That in itself is dadgummed nice. And rare. 

• Members

Days was hard to watch due to the awful writing and it is impossible now do to what was going on behind the scenes. It is really hard to watch and support a show with such a horrible human being running the show.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Today was another one of those days where the idea was good but the execution messed it up. 

Nobody knew that Gabi/Stefan and Dimitri/Gwen were getting married at the same place, same time? These mf’ers are always up in each other’s business and no one knew this??? Come on. 

There were some nice scenes today. I just hope the payoff is worth it when everything blows up. And if Leo actually does feel guilty, which I still doubt, I hope it’s tearing him up inside because he deserves to feel that way. 

As for Dimitri sexting Leo… I won’t say anymore

Please register in order to view this content

Btw, congratulations Eric! That’s one storyline where I hope that the payoff is massive because it really should be. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Putting aside that this is another double wedding, in a living room, and only the immediate family are invited (except Johnny), with dresses from the corner store, I like this group of characters enough to enjoy the episode.  I also always enjoy the soap fantasy that not only does Jada have a fabulous dress on hand to wear to a wedding at a moment's notice, but that she can pull herself together in her tiny room, after sex, and still look stunning.  Just like every guy in Salem who owns a tux, regardless of their income status.

To be fair, Johnny messed up a wedding at the mansion last year, and I don't know that he's ever shared a memorable scene with Stefan, so maybe they didn't want to take any chances.  Salem is sort of like The Sims, they can't have too many NPCs on one lot (iykyk).

The only egregious error for me was the dream fake-out.  To put Eric yelling at Sloan in the promo, and then have it revealed as a dream, is so annoying.  Meanwhile, her plan felt misguided because wouldn't Nicole immediately suspect Sloan stole the DNA results when she was told that someone else at the hospital had already picked them up?  Characters on DAYS become conveniently oblivious whenever the plot requires it.

And, on second thought, double weddings have been a tradition in Salem, including Maggie & Micky with Melissa & Pete, because I am feeling generous, I will even forgive that today. 

Edited by j swift