General Hospital: May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just thought Wu wanted the garage as a strategic space for her mob family's operations. She is absolutely a mob boss, I think from the same family as the one from the original Asian Quarter story in the '80s. She first appeared (again, IIRC) as a dayplayer in one of RC's cartoonish "I'll do the mob, but they'll all be like villains from Daredevil" scenes in 2014 or 2015. Then people liked her cutting eyes and wanted her to have more to do, and here we are with Selina Wu giving the same read on every single scene.

I think we're supposed to think this garage is worth that much. Which is insane to me.

• Members

Isn't Selina the head of one of the legendary 5 families Sonny always talks about?   I thought Selina wanted to just do something illegal out of the garage nothing more than that.  

For Sasha's conservatorship I do think we are supposed to think the garage plus her Deception earnings make her rich.  I can't imagine a random newbie model for a company like Deception makes much though.  It's just a buzzy plot point because there is no way Sasha would need a conservator in real life.

• Members

I think it's another attempt to do something vaguely 'ripped from the headlines' tbh. I've noticed this recently with GH. They did a Kesha/Dr.Luke-esque music scandal storyline with Brook Lynn, Chase and his singing partner vs. that scummy record producer, and now there's this conservatorship with Sasha a la Britney Spears. But in both cases you have potentially dynamite IRL-to-soap material either hung on very bland characters or told in the least interesting, least dynamic or aggressive way possible.

Of course, the kind of social issue storytelling they won't go near is the stuff they should do most of all: Stuff like the pandemic, or treating LGBT people, or abortion rights.

Yep. Her first appearances were at those meetings.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It's funny because it is supposed to be a topical story, but GH did no research into it at all to portray anything accurately.  Having two boring C-list characters doesn't help nor does the fact that Sasha's been fine for months now.   This story has been lingering on at a snail's pace for what feels like years.

• Members

You know how sometimes soap opera characters lie for no good reason?

It feels like Nina's compulsion to tell Sonny the truth is equally unmotivated.  Except for the fact that it is a soap, there is no way that Sonny would have found out the truth.  It's not like the SEC is going to tell Sonny.  She's not going to have to testify, because her evidence is purely hearsay.  And the only other person that knows is Ava.

So, why would she ever tell the truth when there are zero consequences to keeping it a secret?

Equally, why do Carly and Drew think that knowing who told the SEC will clear their names?  While there is some reasonable doubt about their intention to engage in insider trading, they obviously tried to cover it up, and Ned can testify to that fact.  As Martha Stewart will tell you, it is often the cover-up and not the crime that gets you in trouble (she was convicted of obstruction, not insider trading).  So, why focus on who reported them rather than establishing a reasonable defense?  It's not as if a court would care that Nina only called the SEC because she hates Carly, one assumes that is how they get most of their anonymous tips. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Drew Cain ( I mean Ryan Lavery) & Carly Spencer are gonna use Tracy Angelica Quartermaine to get Ned to Recant to the SEC. First, he didnt inform the SEC . Tracy will eat them alive. Finally, The SEC will not care. Carly & Drew did break the law. Team Ned Team Tracy

Edited by John

• Members

It is.  You've watched Sonny these last 30 years, right? Lol!  Every relationship Sonny's ever had with a woman requires a hard double standard.   He's protecting these ladies for their own good, but they are not allowed to lie.  Nina is kind of an idiot because she probably thinks he's different with her.

• Members

Unless GH writers didn't bother to Google conservatorships AND obstruction, it feels like they've written themselves into a corner.

Around Thanksgiving, Ned had a conversation with Drew that his relationship with Carly would appear as if they were engaging in insider trading.  Then, Drew and Carly decided to hide their relationship in order to avoid the appearance of wrongdoing.  Multiple people know that they continued to engage in an intimate relationship while lying about it.  If all of those people testified, the SEC would be able to convict them both of obstructing justice. 

As an audience, we saw all of that happen, so it would be difficult to suddenly write themselves out of this conflict, regardless of blackmail or lover's quarrels.  Also, I fail to see how ELQ would be liable for any of this, given that Ned told them not to do it.

Going back to Martha, all she did was tell a friend that it was good to know people with information, then she erased that phone call from her diary, resulting in her conviction and a sentence of five months in prison.

We'll know that GH writers have no access to Google if Drew shows up in Pentonville with Cyrus rather than at a federal penitentiary. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't understand why Ned is all in a huff about people believing he's the one who turned in Drew and Carly.  If I were Ned, I'd be more like, "Well, whether I turned them in or I didn't, Drew and Carly were idiots to think they could get away with keeping their relationship under wraps, so whatever happens to them, they had it coming!  Now, what's for lunch?"