Eric Braeden drags Eva Longoria for her comments about working in daytime

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't agree.  I think that, when she was a young woman, she was simply trying to make money at her day job and was worried that her clients would diss her for being a soap actress.  She wasn't dissing soaps.  She was talking about how *other* people diss soaps.  She needed to pay bills, so she needed to keep her day job.

Also, she was invited on the show to talk about Latino voters.  She wasn't expecting to be shown a soap clip, and I think it threw her off for a minute.  This wasn't an interview about the entertainment business.  This was supposed to be a serious political interview.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Team Eva on this one.

Firstly springing the soap clip . Intentionally choosing a scene to underline the narrative that soaps are ridiculous. It hardly showed Eva at all -there would have been plenty of scenes that would have shown her in a better light.

So she had aright to be embarassed. Then the story about having another job made sense to me. In fact maybe newbie soap actors should take a leaf and have other stuff on the go to ensure some financial security. I don't think she was putting the show down, just acknowledging it was better to keep things separate.

Eric needs to put a pin in it. Considering that for the past few years he has been mumbling and stumbling ,reading his lines off menus, phones etc. He's damn lucky to still be a working actor. I'm sure that as a younger actor he would have called out such an older actor reading lines that way. He totally overreacted to what she said.

Didn't he go off a few years back at some actor from 'How I Met Your Mother"?

And I don't recall Robert de Niro starting on soaps...

• Members

I never thought Eva was a particularly good or appealing performer, on Y&R or on the wildly overrated Desperate Housewives, but I don't understand why Eric Braeden is spending his time on Twitter dragging her. Aren't these his golden years?

• Members

Yeah, no, Eva actually didn't say anything bad about soaps or soap performers - all she said was that people have a bad perception of actresses as being "dumb" (unfortunately true) and revealed that she didn't want to put all eggs in one basket early on in her acting career, especially as her career headhunter earnt her more money. 

And I totally get it. Acting rarely pans out for people and if you do a double-hustle you don't want either party to think you're not taking it seriously.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Eric went way too hard in his comments and needs to calm down. Eva is a decent actress and her Isabella role was a highlight of the early 2000s.

I recently saw a CBS Sunday Morning profile on Eva Longoria with no mention of her time on Y&R despite it being a CBS show. Eva has always struck me as someone embarrased by her time on soaps (ironic because a nightime comedy/drama soap made her a household name). That in contrast to Kelly Ripa , Judith Light or Julianne Moore.  Cant find the clip but Eva seemed coy and embarrased when the bathtub/knife scene with Christine was played on the Late Show w. David Letterman.

I would understand earlier in her career if she embelleshed her daytime roots because of showbusiness bias. Now now that she's established I wished she'd embrace her Isabella role more. 

Soaps do get an unfair rep. Crappy primetime shows, scenes, or actors dont drag down the entire medium. Soaps on the other hand get disparaged as a whole based on a few examples. (Today's quality however doesn't help this perception at all).

Edited by ironlion

• Members

His reaction is ridiculous.  I’m not even a fan of hers, and I see nothing wrong with those statements.  She kept a job for income reasons.  If anything this shows how smart she was at her age at the time- to not just assume she made it and give up her higher paying job.

To me that interview was all about her, not denigrating the show.  Also many actors do not want watch their early work.

His comments are beyond over the top, they are out of line.

• Members

My takeaway from that interview are 1) how messed up that a contract role on a daytime soap in the early 2000s still wasn't enough to cover her bills, what the hell does daytime pay new performers now? 2) Eva's surprise that they found the clip was weird, it's not like it was from the 70s, it was 20 years ago 3) fun fact from my days of being a Desperate Housewives' superfan: Eva's degree is in kinesiology.

Eric Braeden needs a handler.