ARTICLE: ‘Days of our Lives’ Renewed for Two Additional Seasons at Peacock; Soap to Celebrate 60th Anniversary Season

• Members

It’s funny isn’t it to look back overtime? Jeff Zucker’s saying Days would be cancelled in 2009 back in 2007, the 2011 reboot disaster, the 2019 suspension/halt in production pending renewal, and last year’s move to Peacock all spelled out imminent doom for the show yet it’s still trucking along. Only wish is for a different HW than RC obviously.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

500 more episodes! This is great news not only for DAYS, but also for the remaining 3 soaps because it's proof that streaming is viable. DAYS has been a Top 10 mainstay so clearly enough people are watching to make it financially viable.

Peacock is super weak when it comes to streaming subscribers. Unfortunately, June 26 ends 'free' Peacock for millions of Xfinity subscribers.

• Members

Exactly - this, along with Aussie soap Neighbors being revived for FreeVee, is great news for the soap genre overall; clearly having something that's relatively cheap but produces a high level of regular content that keeps people coming back is viable for streamers. 

• Members

STV started airing the old soap “Brookside” on their app with 5 episodes in a week and the re-runs brought in over 100K streams. That’s insane for an old soap that started in 1982.

i remember AMC was trending on Hulu too when they had their online season.

i really think streaming is the best way to save the soap opera genre. It shows with Brookside. The Neighbours revival will definitely help to find a way for it (the old 2012 season already gets streamed and the iconic episodes).

• Members

Throughout the decades, I have been a major fan of many supercouples, but only when their their storylines remained grounded in the realm of believability and relative reality. Bill and Laura and Doug and Julie on DAYS, Brad and Leslie and Chris and Snapper on Y&R, Steve and Alice on AW, Laura and Scotty on GH; I could name many pairs. But once the uber villains, spies, mad scientists, ghosts, clones, time travellers and Satan entered the soap equation, I was totally turned off. Supercouples' conflict with a bitter ex lover or baby mama was realistic and compelling; supercouples battling a mad scientist freezing the world or a rapidly-aging clone was too stupid to endure.

After loving DAYS since the beginning, I endured the terrible Ann Marcus period, and even survived my way through Nina Laemmle's debacle, but James Reilly made me finally abandon the show. I could never watch it again after what he did to it. (Yes, I know: to each his own, and there were folks who enjoyed/still enjoy supernatural, sci-fi and low-brow camp elements. That is fine, but I'm just not one of them. I truly believe they destroyed the soaps.)

• Members

Ken Corday's loyalty and persistence with Days is indeed admirable, but to me it always comes off as wanting to preserve his parents legacy than any true love for Days as a part of the soap opera genre.

His parents worked on radio soaps and previous TV soaps alongside people like Irna Phillips.

Ken came to Days only because it was the family business and he saw how his mom stepped in and carried on her husband's work.

To me he has never really shown a true understanding or appreciation for the genre. He wants to put his faith in whatever the current writing/production teams push and whatever it takes to keep the show on the air. Which is fair enough and has worked but still....

• Members

I think so? I could have sworn one other company wanted to purchase. Part of me wants to say Sony or Warner? I don't know why. But I do know attempts were made to purchase, especially As the World Turns.

Sorry.. but when it's put like this... this soap seems absolutely f**king insane. Ouch.

• Members

I'll be damned, I did not see this coming. Good for them though this a good look for the genre. 

!!!!! I'm so sick of hearing it too. Be happy it's the big fish in a little pond. If it was on Netflix if would probably be canceled for never making the top 10.

But did enough people watch?

Exactly. Purr

Sure did, numbers 2 and 3 every week. I still have the screenshots on my old iPhone.

• Members

Ah...good ol' Days making it into the sexy, soapy 60s after General Hospital.  Kudos to the Emmy-winning Carlivatti, Corday, cast & crew!

Bittersweet but also amazing that 2 American daily serials have now outlasted Guiding Light on television.  Will GH go on beyond the 72 years GL lasted on radio+television?  It's never been closer.

It would be hilariously fun if someone started a podcast audio-soap version of the defunct soaps and turned them into hits.  Another World would be especially good in a reboot podcast format.