2023: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just listened to Colleen Zenk on podcast with Linda Dano. They taped it 11-16. She said the day before had been a 14 hr day, 40 pages for her & it would air on 12-26. So, production note 11-15 taped will air on 12-26.  She said they do 5 shows in 4 days. If anyone here keeps up with such stuff for Y&R, there you go. She also sounded like it was a big day for her story which she described as steamrolling right through the show beginning next week. Anyway, I wrote up the whole podcast & posted it in the 'ATWT goes to Y&R' thread. I just wanted to put this little bit here before I forget! Overall she could NOT have said more good things if she'd been paid by the word. 

• Members

No. They fired all breakdown writers with the exception of Jeff Beldner. Presumably, he returned after the strike. All break downs are written by hacks Griffith and Beal as well as Jeff. Brent edits scripts written by Esser, Gazzaniga (moved from breakdown to scripts when firings happened), Martin, Banks, McCarty. Assuming they all returned after strike ended.

• Members

Thank you for this. 

With me playing catch-up on GH, I have been wondering when the writers would return. Because GH has been good since the strikes and I felt part of that was the fact that stories were actually moving with beginnings, middles, and ends. And I would hate to see it go back to stalled storylines. 

• Members

Ron Carlivati's story ideas air until around Christmas; but episodes written by nonunion dialogue writers began airing Dec. 4.

Apparently the fired co-EP (whom we don't name because of his horrible abusive behaviors) ...  set himself up as a sort of showrunner, "supervising the scripts" during the strike, so there was nobody officially acting as "headwriter" during that time, but he sort of did that function. 

The strike began May 2 and firedguy was fired August 4, so there are three months of firedguy's nonsense that will air.  Followed by two months of an unknown nonunion person headwriting from Aug. 4 until the strike ended Sept 27.  And headwriting/story concepts air out further than the actual scripts, so the firedguy's concepts might air into part of March and then UnknownPerson's stuff airing into May.

LOL to sum up, the answer to your question is "we don't know".

These are the members of WGA-East who are fi-core
https://www.wgaeast.org/enforcement/wgae-financial-core-list/
(the East list does not divulge *when* the person when fi-core)

These are the members of WGA-West who are ficore
https://www.wga.org/members/membership-information/wgaw-financial-core-list
(the West list tells the year each person went fi-core)

Since the writers write from home, it could be anyone on the east or west lists.

Well, anyone except:
Josh Griffith remained HW for Y&R through the 2023 strike.
Michael Minnis and Mark Pinciotti  wrote for B&B through the 2023 strike.

Fran Meyers (Frances Myers Newman) has been on the Days staff for many years as a script editor and was already ficore from the 2007-2008 writers strike, so presumably she remained on the staff during the strike.

Sheri Anderson is on the WGA-West list as going ficore in 2023, so the obvious speculation was that she did some sort of writing for Days during the strike (consulting, breakdowns, dialogue, whatever) ...  but theoretically she could have done writing for another soap instead, or freelanced for more than one soap ... or did writing for nonsoap projects -- we just don't know.

Edited by janea4old