2023: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

DAYS

10-23-23 Closing Credits: All Writers: Ron Carlivati, Ryan Quan, Christopher Dunn, Jeanne Marie Ford, Jamey Giddens, Dave Ryan, Katherine Schock, Fran Myers, Sonja Alarr, Joanna Cohen, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Kirk Doering, David Kreizman, Henry Newman. (Change: Henry Newman is now listed.)

@JAS0N47  You had told me awhile back (possibly a good while) that Henry Newman wasn't listed in the full writer's credit crawl because he was employed as a freelance writer. Has his status changed now? Thank you.

• Members

Yes, October 5. Here is my FB post from that day:

HENRY NEWMAN NOW LISTED AS FULL-TIME WRITER...

Henry Newman started being listed in today's credits as a full-time script writer. Up until now, he had only been listed in the credits when he was the script writer of the specific episode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

HAPPY RETIREMENT, CAROLYN CULLITON & RICHARD CULLITON!

Please register in order to view this content

Long-time "Days" script writers Carolyn Culliton & Richard Culliton were removed from the credits today. The husband and wife duo retired together in April 2023. Carolyn's final "Days" script aired on October 20, and Richard's last script aired on November 2. The duo wrote the dialogue for 1,260 "Days" scripts since 2008. Happy retirement, Carolyn & Richard! 
Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

Carolyn posts on UglyX even more now but not about writing, about movies, music, politics, etc. Unless she was posting strike supportive. The last time she posted about writing was at the last AW Endiversary & I asked her how she felt about being memorialized forever on videotape as Carolyn the gorilla. She said she effin hated it! But that it was something Gary (Tomlin) & Sam (Radcliffe) came up with & Gary was godparent to one of her children & Sam she adored, so she has to be okay with it. I just bet she would be a delight in a Q&A format. 

• Members

DAYS Mon., 11-13-23. Who is in the house? Rafe, Jada, Nicole, EJ, Leo, Dimitri, Tate, Eric, Melinda, Sloan. We had an episode that ran 32 min. & was written by Christopher Dunn & directed by Noel Maxam.

Is this new for Chris Dunn to be a script writer? It is, isn't it?

And, no Joanna Cohen again today. With her, the 3 vets & the 4 African-American writers all gone, they've lost 8 writers & only gained 2 nepotism hires. (Sometime I defend daytime nepotism for good reason. Here I do not.) 

• Members

Jamey mentioned during strike that Sony tried to force the elimination of Days break down writers (like Y&R) but Ron fought it.Perhaps, they agreed that they'd eliminate most of the dialog writers and have the current breakdown writers do their own scripts,  a structure Monty instituted on GH during her short and disastrous return in 90s (unlike YR where Griffith/Beall/Beldner are writing all the breakdowns and handing them over to the five script writers). The other possibility is that they sped up the writing process in anticipation of the strike by having some scripts written by the outline writers. Jason47 has only mentioned Dunn's script but not Cohen's departure or these other writers appearing as script writers this week.  Maybe he has the full scoop.  Have the credits been updated to show that Noel Maxam is Consulting Producer to match his current linked in profile?