2023: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Good for them! I'm not begrudging their children the work - Labine's children worked well with her on her shows. This just reminds me, though, of what was discussed a number of years ago by lifers in the business - these jobs, especially now in the streaming era of the WGA strike full of short-term 'mini rooms', are often ironically some of the most secure and lucrative writing positions in the field. They are carefully guarded and at times jealously protected by lifers who go from show to show, and provide for each other or for their families. Breaking in is very difficult because of that. Ten years ago I would never have thought we'd reach a point where writing for daytime is a safe harbor for the professional writer.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m seriously curious what happened here, even though we can assume, but it does strike me as particularly bad optics in today’s climate unless it’s merely coincidental and Davis/Giddens/Brown all booked other projects, or a combo of booking other gigs and bad fits for the show, which is indeed possible. But it is curious.

• Members
SONJA ALARR, WIFE OF "DAYS" PRODUCER/DIRECTOR ALBERT ALARR, WRITES TODAY'S EPISODE...

Sonja Alarr, the wife of long-time "Days" producer/director Albert Alarr, was listed as the script writer of today's "Days" episode. She also wrote a few "Days" episodes in 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet but GH stopped showing fill writing credits this week. Just the HW and associate HW. Does this mean they’re down to the final breakdowns and scabs are writing the scripts?

• Members

I wonder if Y&R is now at scripts that were completed by the scriptwriters before the strike but had not yet been edited by Boyd.

Or maybe JG took over script editing duties in addition to EP, HW and breakdowns...

• Members

Today Days tapes last of Ron's scripts before strike started. Ron said he wrote up to Xmas and this week Days taped up to 12/26 episode. I'm looking forward to hearing how Sheri Anderson retools the show with the January scripts.  The best thing about a protracted strike is that Ron can't turn in any material. I'm hoping Ken fires him once the strike is over and keeps Sheri as he did during 07-08 strike when he rehired Dena and kept her, firing Hogan Sheffer.