2023: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Yes, she was nominated for scripts airing in 2022, but she retired in December 2021. The outlines are written over 11 months in advance. Chris Dunn replaced her on the break down team and he announced he joined the soap on his FB page in Dec 2021 but his name didn't appear until Nov 22 and LB name was removed in Dec 22.  Not sure how she lasted ten + years under Dena, Josh and Ron.  

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

March 28, 2023, Michele Val Jean tweeted
that GH producer N'Neka Garland had just passed away.

Just an FYI - The GH character (the Savoy bartender) N'Neka - 
was named for (or inspired by) the real-life producer N'Neka Garland.
[The GH bartender N’Neka -- is portrayed by Arlondriah "Lonnie" Lenyéa.]

The real-life GH producer N'Neka Garland has passed away.  R.I.P.
Per her Linked-in, she worked for ABC-Disney for 22 years.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nneka-garland-a5ba489/

update with obit
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/nneka-garland-dead-general-hospital-1235363404/

(her 22 years at ABC began at OLTL)

I noticed that her name is spelled Nneka in the GH closing credits and on her Linked-in. (No apostrophe).  But her father spelled it N'Neka on his facebook post yesterday so I think that must be how her family spells it.  

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Here's the list of FICore writers from 2008 some of whom will remain writing for shows if there's a May 1 2023 strike. And we don't know yet if any current soap writers have declared FIcore status as the WGA has made no announcements in recent years. 

YR: Josh Griffith (and Michael Conforti who hasn't been listed as an outline writer since March 20 episode, hard to believe they would fire a FiCore writer a few months before the strike).  I'm assuming Beall was given producer title which will allow her to continue to work (although she's not supposed to contribute to the writing...hahahaha). 

GH: Director/Gary Tomlin. Frank hired him to write OLTL during the 2008 strike.

Days: Jeanne Ford and Fran Myers (both of whom have been with the show for decades except for brief periods here and there)

BB: Brad Bell won't write the show during the strike I'm sure....hahahaha. 

Some of the 2008 writers are deceased RIP: Sheffer, Esensten and some will never be rehired (Higley). Jim Brown is in his 70s but was most recently a script writer on YR. Lisanti worked for Frank and Gary on OLTL during and after strike; she could return although she's 69 and I believe retired.

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2008/02/breaking-news-list-of-financial-core-writers