2023: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You know, Beldner wouldn't be a totally bad idea to test out as HW if Griffith finally gets fired and Sony doesn't want to splurge on better talent. He's worked in every soap writing position except as a HW so far. It would be an inspired choice to let him have a chance - I mean, the show is already bad, how much worse could it get?

It would have been better if he could be paired with someone like Natalie Minardi Slater, but alas, Griffith made sure that won't happen. 

• Members

So, here's what Griffith's Y&R writer bloodbath seems to look like:

Fired Breakdown Writers: Conforti, Hawthorne, Slater

Fired Editor: Bibel

Fired Script Writer: Ensley (she's posted an "Open to Hire" image on her linkedIN page

Hired Script writer: Rebecca Taylor 

Reassigned: Boyd now script editor

Reassigned: Gazzaniga from breakdown to script writer

Makes sense that Beall would keep longtime writing friend, Beldner.  But I'm surprised they cut Ficore Conforti a few months before the strike.

Looks like Shannon Peace may be out as breakdown writer at GH unless she wrote an episode this week. I think her last outline was almost a month ago. And Emily Culliton appears to be on contract as her replacement?  Kind of wild to see Emily and Kate Hall writing an episode together given Emily's the Culliton's daughter and Kate is Courtney Simon's daughter.

And Jazmen Brown's name should be disappearing from Days credits soon. He was on staff for six months through Nov 22 according to his linkedin profile.  I think scripts (i.e. drivel) are written about 7 months ahead.

Edited by RavenWhitney

• Members

I was worried Sara Endsley was gone and kept hoping her name would show up again in the credits.

She was Y&R's best scriptwriter. In fact, I would argue she was its only good scriptwriter (I respect her long run, but I find Janice Ferri Esser's scripts mediocre at best).

Meanwhile, Sally McDonald has not directed an episode in weeks. This has happened before so I'm hoping she'll be back, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if JG had fired her.

• Members

HENRY NEWMAN JOINS "DAYS" AS SCRIPT WRITER...THIRD MEMBER OF FAMILY TO WRITE FOR "DAYS"...

Henry Newman was credited for his first script today on "Days of Our Lives." He is the son of long-time "Days" script editor Fran Myers. His brother, John Newman, wrote for "Days" in the 2000s and 2010s. He replaces Cheryl Davis, whose last episode aired on May 26.

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

LONG-TIME "DAYS" SCRIPT WRITERS CAROLYN & RICHARD CULLITON RETIRE...

In response to a "Days" fan today, Carolyn Culliton confirmed that both she and her husband, Richard Culliton, retired from "Days" in April. That should put their last scripts airing around October or November 2023. Richard Culliton briefly wrote for "Days" in 1987 and 2001, before joining the show full-time in 2008. Carolyn Culliton joined "Days" in 2010. In that span, the duo have been responsible for writing the dialogue for over 1,200 "Days" episodes.

Please register in order to view this content

Credit:https://twitter.com/shallotpeel/status/1665789164036423681

Edited by JAS0N47

• Administrator

Wow. It’s definitely the end of an era.  They are two legends of this genre.  Congrats on their well deserved retirement.  And thank you for all they’ve done for soaps for the last 40 years - that’s a testament to their skill and how much they were respected by their peers.