General Hospital: October 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

TV and movies and fashion in general has been dressing bigger people better FOR YEARS. It's not as if they're not making nice clothes for someone who looks like Storms. This isn't about her weight to me, either -- although I do get it that each of us needs to keep saying that.

Her clothes on GH are a DISASTER, and as far as styling, she's a MESS. No one else on the show comes close.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, I have said the same things about KS for years now.  We all have good suggestions on how to fix the problem, but the show doesn't seem to care.  And until they do I guess we watch Maxie in a ponytail, jeans, and ugly, boxy tops for the foreseeable future.  I also think most of us (myself included) tip toe around the whole KS/Maxie issue because of her health issues and problems when objectively she's just not doing a good job.  

I wish her well and I do hope she is in a good place, but I have never liked her Belle or her Maxie.  I could at least see why others did back in the day.  Now, I don't see a lot of rooting value in Maxie and it's not all KS's fault, but she doesn't rise above the material or help matters.

And while I don't advocate killing off either of Frisco/Felicia's daughters, Georgie always felt like the character with better long term potential.

• Members

Victoria Rowell always has said that diversity isn't needed just in front of the camera, but behind the camera as well. Now that we have more truly diverse shows, I love when I watch a show with Black people and their makeup fits their skin tone, they're lighted correctly, the Black women can change their hairstyle because they have hairstylists who can do their hair and women of ALL sizes are dressed well. It can be done, but Daytime isn't hiring people who care about that. The fact that Maxie is a fashion maven and dresses the way she does is unacceptable. I don't care whats going on with Kirsten, it's just unprofessional on the shows part. Clothes exist and are easily available to make her look the part IF they want to.

I'm catching up now and I do have a question. Carly keeps saying Reese died in a teenaged car accident, but didn't Reese come to Port Charles and die in the train stunt? I'm very confused. What did I miss?

• Members

Now this just assumes facts not in evidence. Costume Designers don't just know how to dress people of one size. They've been dressing people of all sizes forever and a day. Hair & Makeup don't just know how to 'do people with one type of hair! Differences are not new. They can only do what people let them do. When people have issues, there's the rub. The only way Costumers, Hair & Makeup can look good is if their people look good. They are highly motivated. Most of the time the public blames the professionals. And that's their catch-22. Maybe another way I could put this would just be to say that I disagree that the professionals are the problem. That's likely better.

Edited by Tonksadora

• Members

Many black performers across all media have stated that there are issues with makeup, hairstyling, and lighting.  This is not an attack on the professionals working in these fields- it’s a call to arms for their unions and networks/show runners to ensure their shows and programs are hiring people of color to work on their casts.

I cannot count the number of Black women performers I have seen comment that they have to have their wigs styled and or hair done by people they bring in or do it themselves.

I agree, the people working in these jobs are hardworking and want people to look their best.  But the systems of a lack of diversity exist.

Back to Maxie- it’s pretty easy to make this an actual storyline without criticizing her weight.  They made Maxie a baby factory, and a tragedy queen.  Give her a story where she confronts those things and decides it’s time to get back some of her edge.  Plus sized people can and do often look stylish, and there are more options than ever (and as a plus sized person, I know all to well the desire to hide and how hard it is to find stylish stuff).  Especially a professional woman like Maxie.  They have got to get rid of Austin too.

• Members

I'm mostly talking about actors with issues that get in the way of their getting the best clothes & hair care. I realize that there are certainly issues of ethnicity that carry their own problems - and solutions! You're right about that.

I think they can fix it if she will let them. And, Austin is another big problem!

• Members

Have we talked about how ridiculous Epiphany's path to becoming a doctor has been?

Did Frank just move her to one step away because of "all her experience"? Did she have to intern at all? Do much studying? And who's paying for all this?

I think the entire story is embarrassing.

• Members

10-7

Yay! They are running with Nina thinking TJ/Willow are having an affair. I want to see that snowball and get messy so bad. hehe.

Darn! Another death! At this point, I don't think it is Liz now since that one attack was going on as she was out with Finn. And I also feel Esme is a red herring as well given her conversation with Kevin. Now outside of Kevin, I am starting to wonder who it is.

CS must be getting to the end of his contract because Victor is figuring more and more into things. Well...we could use a villain.

And ugh. Cyrus is back.