DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think they are legitimately trying to shore up Peacock's subscribers, and think it and DAYS might be able to help each other. But I also think they are expecting far too much if they believe an aging, low-budget soap's customer base will pay a premium fee for a non-revamped program in the same poor creative and budgetary condition, on a fledgling streaming service that has very little draw to new customers for other pay content. Y&R or B&B might still be able to help Paramount Plus if they did something new, but Paramount Plus has a considerable product base already (the Star Trek renaissance, etc) and doesn't need it, and Y&R and B&B are in better shape at least budget and numbers-wise.

I don't believe they have any loyalty to DAYS continuing beyond the remaining cycle unless it does the impossible, namely helps boost Peacock considerably. That is an impossible task for DAYS in its current state. So I think they see it as either it helps Peacock somehow, or they burn off its contract and let it go. That's not the same thing as intentionally killing it, but it's essentially the same attitude - if it dies, it dies. A real commitment and investment would've meant more advance notice and a much bigger revamp of the overall show, a la AMC and OLTL. I don't see a real commitment.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The way Ken Corday puts things is off putting, but I don't see a problem with him saying this isn't your mothers Days of Our Lives. ALL of these soaps need to evolve the storytelling. These soaps are most chaste than what we got in the 80s and 90s. Primetime, cable and streaming are giving us cutting age modern stories and these soaps are still giving us this dated mess we've seen time and time again, which is why the show is in the shape it is now. 

The troubling part of his interview is that he said we have to wait until February to see changes. The show is in AWFUL shape right now and has lost some key cast members. This isn't a good time to convince people to switch and PAY to watch the show. They're at a disadvantage because even if they revamp things in February, they're already so far into the season that it may not help in terms of a renewal on Peacock. They're going to have to really promote that time and hope the writers are up to the job. That is what's going to determine the long term future on Peacock.

• Members

Another colossally stupid, short-sighted, boneheaded decision from NBC/Peacock/Corday Productions. I think all they had to do was digitize one year or 6 months of older episodes, and that would have been enough to rope in a bunch of new subscribers disenchanted with the current show. They need all the subscribers they can get, especially now, to show support for the show when it makes its initial transition. They could have done 1984, the year of the original prisms story, or 1995, the year of the possession. I would have especially signed up for 1984. Such a wasted opportunity; just more to add to the mountain of other wasted opportunities.

It seems like NBC could care less if this succeeds or not; they have not gone out of their way to do anything special or pull out any stops at all..

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

Pretty much. It's like moving a show on its last legs into an impossible time slot - if it succeeds there (which might be a fairly low bar) it's great, if it doesn't... oh well. Is that intentionally killing it? Well, maybe by indifference to it. DAYS was always going to go online at one point, but they aren't exactly nurturing it to make that transition effectively.

If it does get renewed beyond September next year, it'll be in an entirely different format.

ETA: one thing that might work in DAYS's favour, besides increased subscriptions, is if they notice that DAYS viewers interact and watch other shows - ie people'll log in daily on Peacock, watch DAYS and then something else, especially since there's still ads on some tiers to my understanding.

Edited by te.

• Members

That’s how I read as well. DAYS might be cheaper than a lot of other program types and at least add volume to the Peacock streaming inventory which they can promote. Hours and hours of entertainment options…

however, if the subscriber numbers won’t go up, the daily format or even the entire show is dead by next year.

and making a show, which most people watch out of habit because it is on TV at a certain time, premium for a streaming service site is a wild bet. Maybe those Beyond Salem tryouts worked well enough for Peacock which lacks blockbuster content so far, so that all worries are unnecessary. But I wouldn’t count on it. Switching DAYS to peacock in the free service section for a couple of months before moving it behind the pay-wall would be much smarter, IMO.