Days of Our Lives: January 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If I were writing this -- yeah, right! -- it would BE up to the women to save Johnny, and the rest of Salem, from the devil. 

The devil, either through Johnny or through others, would devise various schemes to incapacitate the men (John, Roman, Steve, Abe, EJ, etc.) and keep his grip on the town.  Ergo, Marlena, Susan, Sami (if AS were still available), Julie, Jennifer, Kayla, Ciara, Allie, Chanel, Paulina, even Ava, Nicole and Kristen -- practically all the women would need to join forces and stop the devil once and for all.  Even as the devil uses whatever issues exist amongst these women (and I'm sure these women have tons of issues with each other, too!) to turn the ladies against each other and derail their mission.

Moreover, Marlena would be ringleader, because of her own history with the devil (and because, well, she's the star of the show, lol).  Initially, she'd be visited, in a dream, by her late, twin sister, Samantha, who'd warn her that the devil is not through in Salem; that he has taken control of one of her loved ones; and that it's up to her (Marlena) to rid Salem of him.  Marlena would hesitate, saying she knows how powerful the devil can be, and how can she stop him when she's proven (twice!) how vulnerable she is to him?  However, Samantha would remind her -- with flashbacks! -- how she once took on the likes of Stefano DiMera when she thought Roman was dead and defeated him.  Marlena might have been vulnerable once (or twice) to the devil, Samantha says, but the fact that she "knows" the devil like no one else also gives her an advantage in beating him that no one else has either.  Whether it's a mobster intent on controlling the world, or the literal embodiment of evil out to ruin God's creation, Samantha knows that her sister has proven, time and time again, how she will stop at nothing to defeat anyone or anything that has placed her loved ones in jeopardy. 

Aiding Marlena and the other women in their fight would be a new character: someone who comes to Salem under a cloud of mystery...someone whom Marlena can't shake the feeling that she knows...someone who is gradually revealed (first, to the audience; then, at the story's climax, to Marlena) to be D.J. Craig, in adult form. 

D.J. isn't back from the dead, though.  He's an angel, sent -- by God?  by Samantha?  by Alice Horton?  by Tess and Monica? -- to help his mom through this crisis; and when the crisis IS over, and the balance between good and evil has been restored (for the time being) in Salem, he'll return to Heaven.  But, as he tells Marlena, he'll always look out for her, and for the rest of his family, too.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Because, we've seen men (John, Eric) try and exorcise the devil from Salem, and clearly, that ain't worked.

Because, DAYS viewers, in particular, have been conditioned over the years to expect the men to be the saviors, while the women merely step to the sides and coo (that is, when the women aren't the antagonists -- in which case, they're labelled psycho bitches and either get killed or get cold-cocked and then tossed in jail or the psych ward); and it'd be fascinating, not to mention refreshing, to see things done the other way around, for a change.

Because, it'd also be great to see THIS group of women band together and fight a common threat; and to do so in ways that, if told right, could impact their lives for years to come.

Because, at the end of the day, soaps are a women's medium; and it's high time that everyone -- the writers, the actors, the "suits," the viewers, everyone -- be reminded of that fact.

Because, whatever his moral deficiencies, Joss Whedon, through his shows, told one, profound truth: that women CAN make a difference in this world.

And, finally, to quote one Bernice Clifton, of Atlanta, GA...

When Christ was crucified, and all the men had gone home, it was women who stayed until the bitter end; and it was women who were the first to herald the news of His resurrection.  If women possess enough faith to do that...?  Surely, they possess enough faith to vanquish His greatest nemesis, too.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I'm not suggesting "the devil = all men," but I think it's time for this and other stories to show what our culture is beginning to recognize: namely, that women gots the skillz.

Trust me, if Alice Horton were still alive, she'd be gathering all the forces she could, male AND female; and she'd summoned every last ounce of faith and courage that she could to look the devil in the eye and tell him where to go.  For her sake, for her family's sake, for her community's sake, for the sake of the entire world if necessary.  Because, as she showed us throughout her entire life, Love. Always. Wins.

Plus, it'd be pretty powerful to see all those women, gathered around Johnny, holding vigil, praying without ceasing, while the devil and Beyonce's wind machine threaten to blow them all away. 

Like I've always said, I've never been fond of stories about demonic possession, because I feel that's literally inviting, through entertainment, the devil into people's homes and minds.  Not every viewer out there is strong enough psychologically or emotionally or spiritually to handle it.  But, this clip from "Soap," as Jessica Tate confronts the devil, who has taken possession of her newborn grandchild, is more-or-less how I'd handle the current story on DAYS (just replace Jess with Marlena):

Edited by Khan

• Members

All I know is, if/when the time comes that Johnny Devil (as opposed to Johnny Angel. See what I did there? lol) needs a good exorcism, you know that dude is gonna be tied to the bed without a shirt on. And the exorcism is sure to last a few days to fill up RC's spank bank for the year.