Days of Our Lives: October 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I mean, if he wants to write a soap that doesn't take itself very seriously, fine, I am open to it.
But there are ways to do it and there are *ways*. He can do it without being lame and/or disrespecting the audience and the character.
Beyond Salem was fluffy, silly and funny and still managed to celebrate the characters and respect the audience and tell an acceptable story.
So it is not like he can't wink at the audience and STILL do something decent soap-wise.
But on the main show I am not feeling a vision or a sense of purpose or tone or inspiration from the show as of late. It is meandering with a couple of headline-grabbing ideas that could work if he didn't play them as cheaply (narrative-wise, not budget-wise).
When he was writing OLTL or GH, I didn't love all he did, far from it, but I had a sense of what he was trying to do with the shows. I am very confused what his DOOL is supposed to be conveying to the audience.
Which brings it back to what you said: he doesn't seem to actually like the show he is writing for. 

• Members

One thing that I wish RC would realize that Ben and Ciara are much more tolerable when they’re actually doing something, rather than just kissing each other’s asses

Agreed.

Even the best soap is going to have boring episodes once in a while. It’s just the structure of the medium. I have no problem so far with the way the storyline is playing out. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

lol

One minute into today's episode and I'm already confused. Abby asks Chad if he wants to play John because he doesn't trust her alone with curly-haired EJ. Huh?! How in the world could they possibly know about EJ asking to play John? There isn't even follow up today with Johnny and EJ. Did Johnny give EJ the part off screen, and then Abby and Chad also found out about it off screen while they were putting the kids to bed? Huh? I feel like someone messed up by putting that line in there.

• Members

I wouldn’t say he doesn’t like it.  But he also is not at all reverent to it.  Which under strong creative teams can bring a show to new heights- look at what Lemay accomplished with AW, Monty with GH, and even Reilly with DAYS the longer he was there.  Ron is not that talented though.

He grew up a fan of the Monty era GH.  That fandom was present in his writing- the good and the bad.  He had a lot of history at OLTL- and as outlandish as he could be, you could still see his reverence.

He didn’t have any emotional connection with DAYS when he took the job.  He also is writing a show where he will never get any instant gratification from the audience, even trolling them, because of how far ahead the show is.

• Members

Someone mentioned a soap that doesn't take itself seriously. I think Gary Tomlin era OLTL mastered this from around 2000-2002. The live week stuff and Asa taking his death, Nikki Smith, Roxi stuff has serious and comedic elements to them, even is there were some crappy fluff stories. But back to DAYS...

• Webmaster

Stop antagonizing users with your comments. If you don't like what someone says, ignore them and make your own comment that's on topic. All we've seen you post since you registered has been negative responses to other users. Clearly you don't like the people here, and are most definitely a former poster but hiding under a VPN so we can't trace you (yet). Why you get a kick out of registering and wasting your time being so negative, I have no idea. Whatever floats your boat.