Days of Our Lives: October 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I loved the 94-95 Possession storyline so much, and I knew this current one wasn't going to be as good but I hoped that it would be entertaining.......and it's not.  It's really bad.   First, I hated that there was no build up to this storyline.  The devil, as Doug, just reveals himself to Marlena during a session?  That's it?  That's how we learn the devil is back?   Marlena levitating was such a big moment in 1994, but here we just see Marlena levitate in a normal Wednesday episode?  What?   If the devil was returning, something should've happened to Marlena months ago.  There should've been a storyline prior to this that makes Marlena's soul venerable, and also something that invites the Devil back to Salem.   Another terrible thing is the music cues.   I hate that one cue that's always playing.  It's like really fast violins or cello or one those type of string instruments playing.  I also dislike the devil talking to Marlena through these devices.  The emoji Satan was absurd.  It wasn't even funny.   I was so hyped about Possession 2.0. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

No one has any thoughts on Marlena becoming fully possessed today?  

The John/Marlena stuff was decent.  I liked the ending although I still don't know why the devil can't just talk to her instead of talking through electronic devices.  That's a choice.....but I am sucker for flashbacks.  Flashbacks from the past will make a show 100% to me.

Everyone else in the episode was pretty much odd.   These stories never really air on the same days, so I barely even know what's going on in the Gwen, Justin, Xander stuff because I skip it in general.

Shame Johnny disappeared at the beginning of the episode.  I would have rather watched him thinking about special effects and how he was going to make this movie on his phone---shirtless of course.

• Members

I enjoyed today’s episode, except for the Bonnie scenes lol. It was nice to see a little conflict between John and Marlena. For the most part, I don’t have a problem with Possession 2.0. My only complaint is that too much of Doug and Julie’s arc is happening offscreen. It’s probably an episode guarantee thing or an age thing but I’d actually like to see Doug in Bayview

• Members

I tuned in today thinking there was going to be follow up to EJ and Nicole's kiss.

Instead I was treated to Bonnie in jail and the devil bitmoji. They teased me with Johnny being on, but he disappeared 10 minutes into the episode.

Bonnie crying to Gwen in jail is painful. Who cares?!

I too wish we were seeing Doug in Bayview. I did like the last scene with all the John/Marlena flashbacks.

• Members

I think it's an age thing with Doug too.   I am not sure how often they can use him and Julie.

I liked the conflict with John/Marlena too.  I can't even remember the last time they even bickered about anything.  I do think DevilMarlena had some valid points about it being her choice, not John's, for the movie.  I am not sure I follow the narrative that people have been talking about the Possession for 25 years behind Marlena's back.  I think the Possession 2.0 is fine so far I guess, but it really just came out of nowhere.  I wish people were talking about it before it was actually happening to set it up better.   Marlena/John have never really expressed they had any horrible issues with it bothering them before.   It was just a blip on the radar of crazy things that happened to them in the scheme of their relationship.  I also wish Belle/Brady were involved at all.

• Members

LOL as soon as I saw Xander and Justin at the beginning I groaned lol. So I was pleasantly surprised when we got where we left off on Friday with Marlena saying yes to the movie as I had figured nothing possession related would be on today lol.

I really have no idea where having all four of them jail is going because right now all four are complete dead weight to the show.

Flashbacks and nostalgia really do make all the difference don’t they?

Days has always been excellent with nostalgia even going back to the Langan days. 

• Members

Agreed, there needed to be buildup. The original was done so much better. I knew things would be told more quickly now, but already there's a big piece that doesn't make sense.... in the original tale, there'd be chunks of time Marlena couldn't account for (when the devil was controlling her), and when she was back in control of her mind/body, she had no recollection of anything and was completely confused. This time around, she's able to recall what happened when the devil was in her or communicating to her, yet she does nothing to get help. Instead, she's taking matters into her own hands by trying to save Doug or trying to get Ben not to procreate. If she's somehow aware that the devil is gaining grip on her, wouldn't she tell John right away or hightail it to St. Lukes for the priest to perform an emergency ritual? It just doesn't make sense that non-possessed Marlena realizes the devil is working her, yet she still continues to do his bidding. 

• Members

Seriously, the devil (and the show) have had 25 plus years to prepare this and the devil can't even be chill in front of John as Marlena?  There is no emotional weight to this Possession.  John is going to figure it out in 2 seconds.

Celeste is a character in the movie?  Yay!

I liked Johnny/Chanel today.

Am I the only one who thought Tripp embroidering a blanket the entire episode was just RC trolling us on how boring they can make him?

• Members

Catching up on the thread and nailed it. 

The rest of the cast feel like extras that are on to give them something to do. So many just treading water. Very boring. Some of it could be so much better.

That's where I'm at with Ron on DAYS at this point. He gets it but he also doesn't get it.

I think he does like the show he's writing for; he's just not emotionally invested, which can be a good thing at times, but also bad and we see that lack of investment. Ron needs someone like Sheri Anderson around again. 

I'm down for Ryan Quan and Lorraine Broderick to take over. Paging Ken Corday on the golf course ...

THIS

Yeah I'm really struggling with the show LOL. You can feel a total lack of interest from Ron in so many of the characters. Like with Will and Jack his interest wanes because he isn't emotionally invested to continue writing for them. I feel like he is, somewhat, with Doug/Julie and Marlena/John. He clearly likes Alison Sweeney/Sami.

I imagine they wrote Doug into Bayview with 'no visitors' because Bill Hayes can't continue to carry the story and they can tell it through Julie. But I would like followup. We probably get it next month lol. 

Ron's decent at paying homage to the past (subjective) and he digs into history other's wouldn't touch, but he definitely lacks the emotional investment to craft interesting new stories for the cast that he has. He's definitely struggling. But then he does something like Beyond Salem so I feel like 'on paper' he works but he needs a stronger producer and a strong co-hw more emotionally invested in the show. He focuses on one or two main stories that have a beginning, middle and end and the rest meanders.

• Members

Tripp is a sweetheart, but yeah, those scenes were boring lol 

I like the time they’re taking to build this story, but when they talk about scenes that get cut from episodes, you would think scenes like today’s would be left on the cutting room floor  

• Members

I still think it's so odd that Ava and Tripp never interact. That would be a way to inject some conflict edge into him and the story.

I would LOVE for Sydney, who's the most like her mother, to enter the picture and make a play for Tripp...sort of a retelling of Carrie, Sami, and Austin, the clueless dude in the middle.

• Members

I mean Tripp always looks adorable!  It's just frustrating he's in the background sewing when like Belle could be reacting to the movie about her mother.  Stupid guarantees......

The Possession is just missing the gothic love story that was underneath it.  Jarlena are still the lovestory and of course he will save her, but there was something so special about Father John and the rest of the town rallying around someone they loved so much.  Idk, it's missing a lot aside from pacing.