Days of Our Lives: September 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Let's think about Will's script for a minute.

First, how long is this movie if Marlena being possessed happens in the middle of the story?

Second, how does it end?  Sami's story does not have a complete arc, so does the movie end with her moving to LA or being kidnapped?

Third, is Sami famous enough amongst the other citizens of Salem, given how often she must have been in the news, to justify being the central figure in a biopic?

Edited by j swift

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Well this is all happening rather quickly.   Instead of making it even slightly organic they talk about the Possession non stop for 3 days while no one has mentioned it in years.  I feel like they could have dropped hints throughout the last few weeks but full speed ahead with no subtlety at all.   I thought the show was good again today, but this certainly doesn't have the build up that JER gave it 25 years ago.   I am still willing to watch it play out and I assume RC doesn't have the luxury of being able to use the DH's 4-5 days a week anymore, but it's happening fast for sure.

I continue to enjoy the twins and I though Johnny/Chanel and John/Allie were very good.  Deidre was fine today too.  

• Members

Yeah, I assume the DH's episode guarantee was stockpiled, if you will, and we see them more than we usually do but yeah, there's not the luxury of having characters on 4-5 days a week to play out a story.

Sidenote, I feel the lower guarantees, while I get it, hurt the flow big time on DAYS. Ron could also make better choices but he has a formula that he was trained with on the ABC soaps and he uses it on DAYS.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

While I understand why they have the low guarantees now, it does really hurt the momentum of stories. Sometimes I feel that as soon as a story is hitting its stride, we don't see those characters for weeks at a time.  I felt that way about the Gwen story. I really enjoyed it, but then there were HUGE breaks in telling it. It's similar for many characters/stories. I felt Jennifer played by CM was really on fire...and then they abruptly wrote her out....same with Sarah/Xander.

I don't know if reducing the cast is the answer to free up more money to showcase the remaining characters more is an idea. For example, I honestly can't get into Ava/Rafe/Choloe/Brady/Philip at all. Those five actors together must represent a huge part of the acting budget. Brady is the only one I personally would probably keep around, but I think even he needs a break of sorts. His jumping from one woman to the next to the next has gotten old over the years.

• Members

It does hurt the momentum. It's a big reason my viewing ebbs and flows and I tend to catch up in between. 

I think it's probably time to dump some characters and move some to recurring. 

I don't really know what would help.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I do feel like the DH's were missing for awhile in the summer, so you might be right.   I do feel like the guarantee stuff disrupts the flow especially when certain characters that have a lot of guarantees are lame.   But for all I know the DH's could have signed a different contract recently.  I don't really understand how Days contracts work.

I think the Charlie murder/Jan stuff stalled so bad because it's clear MM and BB don't have much in the way of guarantees. 

I assumed the devil would jump around a bit more and he still could.  We will have to see.  Good thing John still has his exorcism kit. 

I like the idea that no one knows because Jarlena never talked about it and it makes sense because the show never really talked about it.  I am still confused how Sami told Will all those details since she was not around and Marlena couldn't remember much.  Unless John, Caroline, or Carrie told her. 

@j swiftI have the same questions about Sami's movie ending.  I would assume it ends with her going to LA.  So maybe Will/Johnny would have to change it?   But I think Johnny might switch to Marlena as the subject and the Possession is only the tip of the Iceberg on that story.

• Members

Wow...I totally forgot that MM and BB are on contract until you mentioned it they've been so MIA. I'd rather see them than Chloe/Brady/Phillip Part 75. It'd be interesting to see the characters of Shawn and Belle in a real story for a change. 

I wonder when we'll see SR's Maggie again. I've missed her presence.

• Members

We should have had the film stuff bringing it up again while Doug was having his medical issues for at least a couple of weeks before everything converged.  Marlena should have had conversations with the twins about what happened to her, not just John.  If anything, that would make more organic sense as to why now- she started opening that door in her mind again.  It could still have been faster than Reilly, but not it all happened in two episodes fast.