Days of Our Lives: September 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

And when “Never Say Never” premieres I can sooo see a scene with AP Austin & Carrie tell each at how well they enjoyed Patrick Muldoon & Andrea Barber played them while Roman & Kate marvel how their favorite “Dynasty”actors Wayne Northrop & Deborah Adair were lured out of retirement to play them specifically

Please register in order to view this content

Doug & Julie were MIA for the entire original  possession right? I just remember Shawn being attacked by the swarm of bees and Caroline praying all the time when she wasn’t being a self righteous hypocrite towards Sami lol. Alice was too busy with her Gina puzzle but she was there at Marlena’s funeral. I am not sure why JER didn’t utilize Mickey & Maggie at all during his first run other than Mickey being the worst defense lawyer ever despite everyone singing his high praises. It be fun to see Marsha Clark’s recurring character return lol she was the original Melinda Trask for years. 

Same here. Bill did a fantastic job although I was a bit disappointed by Hall’s simple jaw drop lol.

As for Johnny I’m surprised he didn’t already know….LOL it gave me a flashback during the Gemini Twins story to when John, Marlena, Bo and Hope told the Last Blast kids there no such thing as the paranormal

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have to admit Ron handled the opening of this plot really well. But I'm expecting him to take the story off the rails and no one has mentioned how they ended Wednesday's episode with Ben and Ciara at the "Inn" with the wind blowing.  Somehow I think Ben will be possessed and murder again. Or CIN (ugh) will be a big part of this story.

• Members

I've begun to think of the problem with Ron's writing as a pattern.

Each story starts with a bang, a good scene, a great cliffhanger, a surprise reveal.  Fans dig it, critics thinks it's groovy, and everyone has a theory.

But, there's never a setup for characters to investigate the mystery and find clues.  Most classic soap mysteries have also been the background for love stories between heroic couples.  However, Ron plays his cards so close to his chest that no clues are revealed.  Instead, we get endless scenes of people talking about being shocked by the events, but nobody has the agency to actually try to solve the crime.  For example, this should be Lani & Eli's story which inadvertently reveals Paulina as her mother within the plot, or Rafe and Nicole's story where they learn to trust each other and work together, or even Johnny and Chanel's story.  With the possession as a backdrop for the progression of their romance.

Then there's a confession.  In the end, the solutions are usually so convoluted that characters could never have solved the mystery given what was shown to the audience.  So, there is always a big vomit of exposition, followed by an arrest, and no consequences or follow up.

For examples of this pattern see The Tale of Two Todds (that was a memorable cliffhanger), The Mysterious origins of Nina Clay and Ava Jerome (remember how excited everyone was when GH went to Corinth?), and The abduction of Ben after his DAYS wedding.

I actually believe it is the crux of the issue between Ron and the fans.  When you watch his writing it always feels as if he is trying to trick you.  As opposed to an EON Slesar story where the audience knows the killer and is waiting for them to be caught, he doesn't trust the audience enough to share the secret. Or a PFS story from DAYS history when you didn't care about the McGuffin, you just wanted the couple to kiss and hide out together, he doesn't respect the intelligence of the audience to know the function of a soap plot.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Lol!  I am sure Ron will have some tongue in cheek casting comments if Never Say Never ever gets made.

Julie/Doug appeared for Tom's funeral and Hope/Gina's reappearance, but they had nothing to do with the Possession.  

The main players in the Possession that I recall were John, Kristen, Father Francis, Gabe the Angel, Mike, Carrie, Stefano, and Caroline but everyone else knew and were only mild to moderately concerned lol.  Sami wasn't even around.  She came back like the day after it was over to interrupt Carrie/Austin's wedding. 

Haha!  I love those scenes after the Gemini twins landed or whatever and Belle and Shawn D were explaining it to their parents and John, Marlena, Hope, and Bo could barely keep a straight face or take them seriously and were all secretly thinking they raised two idiots for children.

I think Deidre was supposed to play it low key.  I don't think she was immediately supposed to lose her [!@#$%^&*].  I assume she thinks Doug is crazy still but we will see how it continues Monday.  But Deidre played the whole episode low key with her odd reaction to the movie and her disbelief the affair would be portrayed in it.  John was the one immediately losing it over the thought of it, which, again, in reality the Possession would only be vaguely touched on at the most in SAMI' s story.  

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Bill Hayes is amazing. NBC should be going all out on cross promotion with an appearance on Today or Tonight show.

At 96 he is the oldest regular working actor in Hollywood. The man had a #1 hit single in the 50's and was a regular on the legendary 'Your Show of Shows'.

Wouldn't it be great to see him recognized for his achievements?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

MarDevil gave Sami the advice to do whatever it took to get Austin, so I guess?  Sami was already pretty nutty over Austin, but after that discussion and encouragement from Lucas she decided to drug Austin.   So MarDevil gave Sami bad advice, but Sami made her own stupid decisions in that regard.  It's not like Sami was close with Marlena back then or ever listened to her, so I am not sure if MarDevil's advice made a difference one way or the other. 

Edited by carolineg

• Members

MarDevil will be the main scriptwriter for Never Say Never: The Sami Brady Story.

Also, Sami would these DAYS claim that it was just her SLUT of a mother trying to ruin her life and fabulous life decisions who told her to go after Austin. Nasty board table humping skank Marlena!!!

• Webmaster

"I locked that bitch in there on purpose." - Doug Williams

Say, what? I love it! Bill Hayes and his line delivery was just amazing. I'm quite intrigued by this storyline. I thought I'd hate the revisit because I'm not normally fond of revisiting older storylines to begin with, but nope. I'm looking forward to how this unfolds.

• Members

To be fair, most of us are weary of revisiting this but like/accept it because it gives Bill Hayes a front-burner storyline.

I just realised Will is the result of Satan.

Please register in order to view this content

Sami has SO much to blame Marlena for.