Days of Our Lives: September 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

People like Martha Madison because she engages with fans. But with the exception of a very brief period with JKJ aeons ago, she has never worked and has always skewed way older. She's the reason Shawn and Belle are little more than exasperated parents today. I think it's too late to recast Belle, roll her back and make her a lead, especially with her daughter and Sami's twins now on the show as young adults (and you're never going to supplant Sami's role on the canvas, gone or not).

People have been crying about me saying this since her first day onscreen, but nothing has changed. They like the idea of her working out more than she ever has.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think MM is a good actress, but I honestly have always thought Belle was lame.  I don't think a recast would make her less lame unless they decided to ditch the Shelle pairing as endgame.

ETA-Agreed she's always skewed old.  I would never buy KS's Belle being a parent to an adult.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I wish Doug would have been possessed for a bit longer than he was. It's been fun. The audience could have wondered about his Alzheimer's as he talks inappropriately to Kate in front of Roman, say something about Eli being Julie's grandson, etc.. 

I did think for a second that maybe the Devil transferred from Doug to Tripp. This could have worked too if it tied in Chanel, Ali, and Johnny. The Devil could have stirred up a few things among them and let them experience the situation first hand at the same time.

• Members

Working from home today and took a break to watch Days as I heard that EVIL IS BACK! I haven't watched since the looney Salem Stalker thing got out of control..( I watched that for the pure silly camp that Days always provides and hoping this does the same..)and I really haven't watch a soap episode since GL went off the air..(yes, that long.) Thoughts..its kind of sad that MarDevil is comforting and seeing Hall's eyes glowing, I almost felt warm and happy like Maureen Bauer was back in her kitchen. Its also nice to know that soaps haven't changed..its nice to know that Marlena is still doing stupid things to help someone else, even if it means the town will suffer...the old pros and characters are still more interesting then the "hot" kids...Dee Hall and the John actor look damn great...(though his acting is still terrible and I miss the bad 90s mullet he used to sport) as does Julie. It is nice to see more then two black actors on a soap and damn if that two of them are able to act their age and have a few pounds on them..they brought a level of "real" to the show. The sets seem almost Peapack terrible but the older actors made you not notice and good God they made John and Marlena the Tom and Alice Horton of today, grandparents to practically adult children! I actually like that they are bringing up the possession again...in the cracked up world of Days, it makes sense that this is an historic moment ..(just as long as we don't return to Melaswen!)

All in all it was nice to actually watch a soap again to laugh and yell at the screen..."She's possessed you duma** John!"

• Members

Agree w/everyone who thinks that Doug’s possession should have played out a little longer. Maybe the episode guarantee thing really did have something to do with it. If that’s the problem then I think it’s time to fix that somehow.

I am curious though how a good man like Doug was able to become possessed. I can’t imagine someone sneaking into his bedroom through the armoire and invading his dreams

Please register in order to view this content

Smoking hot chemistry between Johnny/Chanel too. I’m really anticipating how that storyline is going to play out.

Edited by AbcNbc247

Doug's possession had no foreshadowing at all. It would be interesting to see recreated flashbacks. As to how and why the Devil choose Doug. Out of everyone in Salem. Marlena has barely interacted with Doug over the years. Also as you stated how did a good man like Doug become possessed? 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Agreed it should go longer..and I also didn't get how the demon can take his soul..its not Doug's fault he is possessed....simply a "Marlena, look, if you don't let me in poor Dougo here is going to be dead, after he takes out a few of your friends first."  Someone up thread mentioned that if it went on longer people would think its dementia and that would be a good reason the devil got in..ala "The Excorcist 3" , which in addition to being much better then it gets credit for also has some really spooky dementia patients possessed and crawling on ceilings. The demon says that they are easier to take as their minds and wills are lost already. This could lead to Doug actually having dementia..caught early and controlled as much as it can by meds.

• Members

Good people can become possessed all the time, in literature and fiction. It could easily have been a medical condition or any number of things.

I don't think it's particularly important to see how Doug got possessed, but I do think the show is moving fairly quickly and I agree that the pacing and block-taping actors' techniques Ron and his crew learned at ABC with Frank Valentini do the story no favors. This show rotates actors, stories, etc. in a slipshod fashion that began at OLTL and GH and continues today. Sometimes that cost-cutting method of story rotation worked at ABC, when the shows had a reasonably sized cast and a clear focus and sense of pace, but when they didn't you'd go weeks or months without seeing a plot or subplot and hear about events offscreen constantly. You can't just leave the Possession hanging for a week or two.

• Members

Have we actually even seen the product?  Aside from a few donuts would it hurt Days to shows some cookies or cakes or something besides paper bags and boxes?

All the budget is going to the Possession.  Everyone is going to have scenes at the Park bench moving forward.