Will soaps start firing actors who aren't fully vaccinated?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The irony here is that the only reason it happened at GH imho is because Nancy pushed for it publicly as vocally as she did - and Ingo who is a moron in more ways than one made the situation impossible for producers by being as pig-headedly vocal in return. I say she deserves the credit, not Valentini.
I am almost certain they would have been happy to muddle through if it hadn't been playing out in public.

It is obvious other shows also have massive anti-vaxxxers on their sets and do not want to rock the boat by setting a mandate.
And since those anti-vaxxxers are smarter than Ingo and shut up about it on one hand, and the sane ones are less courageous than NLG and are also not speaking up, the shows can afford to skate by without public accountability on this.

Even from the universe of people we *know* are probably not vaccinated, I can see why it puts decision-makers in a tough spot.
For instance Bell is writing B&B around JMW. We are not talking about expendables like Gabi or Jax here. If she says no, she has a lot of leverage. And I bet it is similar at other shows with people we don't even suspect.

• Members

I read a comment that she said Frank lead the charge for it to be required.  I do think her posting about it in regards to her union might have rushed things along.  But then again, maybe she knew GH was headed that way and she’s just pressuring her union to do the same all over?

• Members

Obviously I don't know the sequence of events. It could very well be that Frank was strongly in favor of it all along and all but if I know anything about business - show business in particular - is that they only do the right thing when there is more upside than potential downsides.
It is only because the tiff was public that the potential downsides - losing cast members - were outweighed by PR concerns enough that higher-ups would go along with it.
The fact the other soaps didn't - and I am sure there are also executives there who feel strongly about mandating vaccines - is a tell for me. Usually suits prefer not to rock the boat, certainly not out of something as "flimsy" as the health and well-being of employees or morals.