General Hospital: August 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think the lesson here is that everyone wants to boink NC and since they can't, they want to see whichever character on-screen they identify the most with boink NC.

So suddenly everyone spots gay chemsitry with another twunk and thinks he should go for cougars. What a coincidence that this conveniently overlaps with the largest demographics watching the show ;-)

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the boys did have a bit of unintentional chemistry. On todays episode. It's the same unintentional chemistry. Michael and Chase have. I'm certainly not stupid enough. To think that GH would ever go there. This isn't a show on cable or a steaming service. It's just a dopey ultra conservative played out soap. On it's last legs. Still around because ABC. Has nothing better to replace it with. Which we'll never achieved the great highest it did in the 70's,80's.90's. It's a miracle that it's somewhat watchable. After the decimation it has suffered through for the last 20 yrs.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Hey, feel free to enjoy the chemistry you feel if you feel it. Far from me to yuck your yum. 

But let's be blunt: the reason Michael and Chase or Spencer and Cam are not going to be paired is not because GH is too conservative.
It is because they are straight characters. 

You're usually very nice. You are giving off a very condescending tone.  I'm well aware that the characters are straight. But even straights can give off those vibes. GH treats their gays like crap. Anyway i don't want to battle anyone. That's just my dopey opinion's. I'm the pathetic loser on a message board. At 1:44 in the morning discussing sheer nonsense.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I may not love the relentlessly horny fixations that sometimes overtake threads or the sixth grade mentality it engenders, but it's time to pause. Ever since you have shown up here you have felt the need to explain things to people like they're five. So yes, let's be blunt: You've been here about six minutes and you think you came to educate the forum, but in practice you often have a very poor grasp of the facts you discuss. You state obvious things we all knew years ago and then act like you just dropped knowledge. And whenever you've been actually proven wrong on facts about these shows, particularly BTS information, you retreat from the topic entirely as though it were a debate society and people should be invested in convincing you. These are not debates. Nobody needs to convince you, and nobody needs your help understanding anything. We are all aware these characters, even Spencer who has pinged since childhood, are being portrayed as heterosexual. This lack of shading or diversity in these shows' ensembles, is precisely because the shows are conservative. If you are unable to process two distinct sets of non-exclusive facts, that is your failure of imagination.

You are not the rational, sensible poster you believe you are. You don't think before you speak and you often don't know much about topics this board has hashed out in discussion for over a decade. Read more and talk less.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Well I certainly very much apologize. I certainly didn't intend to be condescending, nor did I do it knowingly.
I wanted to make the last point because I thought it was important to remind *ourselves* of the narrative framework the show works under that doesn't have to be from a place of conservatism - there is plenty to say on how poorly GH writes its openly gay characters but that's a different conversation.
But there is nothing wrong nor dopey about your opinion. I feel very bad I gave you the impression I thought otherwise and again I apologize.

• Members

You're being plural when you should be singular and speak for you. This isn't kindergarten. When "we" need to remind "ourselves", we'll do it ourselves. No one needs your help to explain to us why GH, a show that has zero Black frontburner characters and no LGBT contract players, is not really conservative. All of network daytime is conservative, because it believes as it has for several decades that its audience is predominantly white conservatives who need to be coddled and catered to. That's why this show is what it is in 2021. So no, these conversations are really not that different.

• Members

Oh there is no denying American soaps are conservative.  This is a genre that used to have frank discussions about sex, abortions, illness, rape, mental illness, etc long before other shows on television.  International soaps have had thriving, vibrant stories about LGBTQ and more overall representation for the same 20 years that American soaps have given the these topics lip service at best.

Even DAYS, once groundbreaking (for the US in daytime)with its use of gay characters didn’t know what to do with them and wrote them out several times.

• Members

Of course American soaps are conservative.
I mean, I take responsibility for the fact the point I was trying to make completely and utterly crashed and burned - and hurt a fellow poster in the process - and I am not going to belabor this particular conversation but my argument really really wasn't that soaps aren't conservative.
Of course they are.