RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was just watching Tick Tick Boom, the Netflix movie featuring Andrew Garfield as Jonathan Larson. Bradley Whitford pops up in a small role as Sondheim, and I was sorta marveling that the real-life Sondheim was still with us. So sad that we’ve lost him.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

R.I.P. Mr. Sondheim.

To call him a legend or icon seems insufficient somehow. I first became aware of him through Barbra Streisand's "The Broadway Album" more than 35 years ago.  I still think this is one of the most beautiful theater songs ever written, and this is such a beautiful rendition. A meeting of two legends....

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

His Oscar win was for Madonna's 'Sooner of Later' from Dick Tracy, but he didn't attend the ceremony when his name was called. I know he was later appreciative of Madonna and Warren Beatty for asking him to work on this song (and others used on Madonna's I'm Breathless album inspired by the movie) and for helping him cross over to the pop charts and getting an Oscar out of it (even if she said Madonna's flat pop voice wasn't that he was used to). 

I wonder if Angela Lansbury or Bernadette Peters have commented yet (but they both must be said). He often considered those two his musical theater muses. 

He added in some extra lyrics to this song (from 'A Little Night Music') at Barbra's request too! I know The Broadway Album is also Barbra's personal favorite album in her vast catalogue, and she considers it her greatest musical achievement, a lot of that thanks to Sondheim's contributions. He later presented her with the Grammy Lifetime Achievement award. 

Here are his various Tony wins. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Because no one truly makes it on their own, please remember the highly successful collaboration and partnership Sondheim had with Hal Prince who passed just a couple years ago. Here's an insightful article about their fruitful partnership.

https://everythingsondheim.org/remembering-hal-prince/