RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Members

Sondheim’s loss is monumental. I think his work will go down as the greatest in the history of musical theatre. His work didn’t pander like some of ALW’s did. IMO He was so much like Tom Stoppard the playwright. Both of their works never assumed their audiences needed to be spoon fed. The language and words so carefully chosen. 

I’ll always admire Streisand for her desire to make the Broadway albums which she was warned would likely flop. Her instincts have always been impeccable.  So much of that work was Sondheim and she introduced millions to so much of his music they likely would never had ever heard.

RIP Mr Sondheim. You were truly magical

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s so interesting that Sondheim was interested in working with Angela after seeing her performance in The Manchurian Candidate. Yes she was brilliant but it fascinates me that he saw something in her that he believed could enhance his work. It speaks to his own insight and the complexity of his work.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Very shocking and very sad to hear this. Young at 41. If all this suffering with the pandemic could lead to some advancements in cancer treatments, with better outcomes, longer life's with better quality of life for multitudes, then something good, at least, could come out of so much suffering.

RIP, Mr. Abloh.

• Members

I grew up with the original cast production of Into the Woods filmed for PBS and was obsessed with every inch of it - that was my first exposure to Sondheim. I've never been a huge theater person but I adore that show and I was proud to work on a film project about Merrily We Roll Along a few years back. More recently I became acquainted with the indispensable D.A. Pennebaker documentary about the cast recording of Company (currently streaming on Criterion). Most people cite the grueling work Elaine Stritch did for it, but it's Beth Howland's unbelievable performance of his labyrinthine lyrics that awes me for both performer and creator.

I knew some of Abloh's work - what a tragedy.

Edited by Vee