RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He was similar to Spencer Tracy in having the appeal of a leading man with the roots of a genuine actor. There was that class of late '70s and '80s film actors who never really broke through in massive terms, the way someone like Tom Cruise did, but made some genuinely interesting, challenging films. He had so much intense sex appeal mixed with an everyday quality, the living embodiment of Gabriel Oak from Far from the Madding Crowd (even if he never played that role). I'm very sad to hear he's gone. 

• Members

I've been meaning to watch the longer, even stranger director's cut of The Counselor, McCarthy's film with Ridley Scott. One of the single most insane moviegoing experiences I have ever had in my life, seemingly written, directed and performed by coked-up Martians, but absolutely spellbinding. And the DC is supposed to be even weirder. I'll be doing that very soon. The boldness it took by all parties (particularly Scott, who can write his own ticket and is never afraid to fail or alienate people used to his more conventional blockbusters, and McCarthy, who never sacrificed an inch of his character or style for anyone). RIP.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Wow. Glenda Jackson. Anyone who wants to see the breadth of this woman’s acting talent should Watch Elizabeth R. And she put that acting talent aside for decades to go into politics. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/glenda-jackson-women-in-love-oscar-winner-and-uk-politician-dies-at-87/ar-AA1cA9tp

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

She lived a very long, productive life, but seeing so many legends leaving in the last few months still makes me feel sad.

An absolutely ferocious actress who came up through programs that, sadly, are not there for many young performers now. A case for how important uniqueness and individual voices are in an industry that often favors the generic. Last year I watched her in the Music Lovers, totally mad, and not once did she come across as just playing a part. Even in the most broad, blistering moments, including her horrifying final scene.

She was wonderful in everything I ever saw her in, but this was the role she apparently enjoyed most:

Edited by DRW50