RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Coming off a weird, but good week...and an unexpected good night...I saw the news about Tina Turner and was just shocked and teary-eyed, another part of my childhood gone.

A new friend of mine has been trying to start a drag show revue in our downtown area so I went to the first one in its new venue Friday night. And one of the drag queens...wig, sparkles, legs, and all...did Tina proud with her version of PROUD MARY. And I was fascinated with how she never broke performance even as she collected tips. 

I loved Tina. And she was such a survivor. With that voice and the fact that she persisted so well and so beautiful...and those legs. 

For me, when I think of her...as a kid...I always go back to this song. Signs of my dystopian/scifi/fantasy self showing so early...but I couldn't take my eyes off her and wondered who she was. Perhaps it spoke to my wanderlust and seeing if there was life on the horizon for me. 

RIP you angel.

• Members

I watched the HBO documentary TINA about her life a year and a half ago. During the documentary, Ms. Turner made it clear that this would be the last time she wanted talk about her life -- mainly because it had been traumatic and painful. It was also clear that she was going into full retirement and wanted to enjoy her personal life to its utmost, in peaceful Switzerland with her longtime partner.

It is devastating to me that she couldn't have had longer to enjoy her glorious retirement, and her passing yesterday puts her words in that documentary in a somewhat different context now.

Nevertheless, even as I mourn this sad news, WHAT an inspiration Tina Turner was when I was growing up in the 80s. She seemed to embody that strong (but also deeply kind) 80s female. When I learned about what she had gone through with Ike Turner (the confidence she gained as a woman post-divorce because Ike broke her down physically, mentally and emotionally and made her feel truly worthless, a lack of self-esteem she wrestled with since childhood) -- my admiration for this tremendous human grew even more. An amazing talent and even more amazing person.

• Members

Ms. Tina Turner’s personal story is also instructive because it illustrates to women, and Black women that you can move past trauma and start anew, and after after 40+ at that! With all her talent, drive, appeal and grit, probably the way she was able to start over at a time when society used to want to discard women and ignore Black women- that’s a legacy every bit as important as her vast legacy she left through her musical and entertainment career. Bless her soul.