RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Script vaguely sounded familiar and then I remembered their song 'Hall of Fame' was used for a (I think) OLTL promo. Or maybe it was just a fan edit? 

In other news, actress Garn Stephens has passed away. Admittedly, her work passed me by, but I figured people here might know her. She was apparently most known for her role in the sitcom Phyllis and her role in Halloween III: Season of the Witch. She was also Emmy nominated for writing an episode of St. Elsewhere.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3758399/halloween-iii-season-of-the-witch-actor-garn-stephens-has-passed-away/

• Members

I know Humphries had his unfortunate moments in later years in some of his comments (not to downplay), but I really did enjoy watching Dame Edna, and I appreciated Humphries' quick wit in interviews - whether as Edna, Les Patterson, or himself - all the way to the end. Watching him toy with people he was interviewing, or who were interviewing him, kept you on your toes, made you laugh, and there were even occasions where, along with the joke, there was some tenderness, as shown in this interview (and kudos to Humphries for not treating these smaller local interviews as something to jeer at) where he talks with the interviewer about being a widow.

Humphries always made clear that he wasn't a drag queen, so I'm not going to reach too much in comparing his art to today's violent attacks against drag and against transpeople, but I do think the dual life aspect he talked about in interviews is still a part of the identity and freedom which has become consumed by so much ugly propaganda on the right (and among some of the left who are always happy to help the right).

I never really got the sense that Humphries tried to change his act, or his personality, to pander to Americans, so it still impresses me that after an initial rough response in the late '70s, Edna was able to find a niche in the US starting in the early '90s. That she was a semi-regular on the last season of Ally McBeal still makes me scratch my head.