SOAP OPERA DIGEST - 1991

• Members

Hi all

I noticed the Soap Digest tumblr is no longer being updated, so I thought I would continue with the issues I have. Unfortunately rats got two boxes worth, so I am missing 1993, but everything else up to 1996 should be around.

If anyone has already done this let me know. Happy to contribute with issues not yet shared

First up is June 11, 1991

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for this. I enjoyed reading this issue.

I see there's a really interesting article on Soras (before we all called it that, that is).

With the benefit of hindsight I also had a chuckle at the letter from K.W from Columbus Ohio...In the end Drucilla's estrangement from her parents was a recurring storyline that went on until 93/94.

• Members

@j swift, you might want to see this ... Why, we even get a Cousin Joey Update!

will, this is truly impressive. I look forward to seeing this thread as it grows.

Stray thoughts:

-- Michael Damian, you dirty dog! Wanting to be trapped in an elevator with Madonna, Julia Roberts and Kim Basinger.

-- I'm wondering when CBS officially picked up Palace Guard and if SOD figured it wasn't worth it to halt the presses and update the Marcy Walker story.

-- Hmm ... I don't recall a Brice Cannon on AMC. Might he have been reworked into Dimitri?

-- Was DOOL really considering recasting Marlena, or was it just to stir up excitement? And who on earth (besides Andrea) could have played her?

-- Different Times: "Bo contracts the virus" 

• Members

Yeah it is a bit of work, but I need to get it done anyway, as I don't trust after the rat attack (in a previous house) that my issues are safe anymore, haha. I lost heaps of issues from the 70's and 80's and all of 1993 except Sep - Dec and one issue from Jan. So it will basically leap from the first issues in 1993 to the fall preview. Thankfully the 70's and 80's issues are up on the tumblr site.

Glad everyone is liking this. I will try to upload fairly regularly, but will depend on my schedule. Will get it done though. 

I also found Bryna Laub's daytime Serial Newsletter from Sep - Dec 1973 (I thought I had shared this before but not sure). I also have Jan and Feb 74, but it is only one page with Y&R and half of ATWT on one and half of Search on another. So I will get those up as well, and some Daily TV Serial magazines from 1976 are coming as well as one issue of Soap Bubble magazine from 1976. 

• Members

@will81 Thank you so much, this really brightened up a rather ugly week.

And @Franko thank you for calling this to my attention.  I've been waiting so long to see what happened to the ill-fated Cousin Joey (it looks like the SORASed A.J. negated any story potential for poor Joey).  1991 continues to be the interesting year behind the scenes ever.  And Bridget Dobson's tale about being called a party girl by her mother, even after graduating from Stanford, (where we learned earlier she met Jerry) and Harvard was heartbreaking. 

Thirty years later, I still think the "Ask Us" section is filled with fake news.  Who suggests that their friend should be kidnapped because they have questions about Bob Woods on Days?  And even before the internet were people really willing to wait for their question to be published in order to find out if Lisa Peluso and Lisa Loring were the same person?  Also, wasn't Paul Martin the brother of Joe Martin, not his son? 

FYI - Bronwen Booth went on to become a blonde production executive http://kbp2013.kingsboroughpictures.com/our-team/bronwen-booth-executive-in-charge-of-creative-affairs-development/ 

And Rob Mailhouse was in the band Dogstar with Keanu Reeves https://www.vice.com/da/article/rbxq95/i-was-in-a-band-with-keanu-reeves

Edited by j swift