SOAP OPERA DIGEST - 1991

• Members

Yup, once A.J. arrived on the scene, Joey was superfluous. I'm up to January 1996 in reading the episode summaries* and I'm amused at the revolving door of young-to-younger guys in the past five years. Some, like Mac, nu-Ned, the Q boys, (with regrets) Sonny and (I guess he counts) Lucky went the distance. Others, like Paul Hornsby, Dr. Eric Simpson (eclipsed by Ned and Jason as A.J.'s rival), Connor (Sean's long-lost son), the Cates brothers and Miguel didn't.

*They stop at year's end, which is alright by me.

Poor Bridget. I would never want to be cornered by her in a dark alley, but you have to admit, she's a survivor.

Correct on Paul and Joe's relationship.

Edited by Franko

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hey all

So I decided instead of making you all wait, I would upload each issue in parts. This is roughly a third of the Jun 25, 1991 issue. I will get the other two thirds done over the next day or so.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Catching up on this thread ...

-- Ellen Byron was trying a hair too hard with the Melissa Reeves article. Career ups and downs are certainly something, but I feel like they'd be in a different league than your husband-to-be going in for brain surgery. Also, I'm going to go there ... I wonder how often that event came up in conversation circa 1995?

-- Also awkward in hindsight, Michael David Morrison declaring himself a former "partier" (I love the quotes, as if this was a new concept for SOD readers).

-- One issue after the primers on each show concluded, it's time for a series of character rundowns. Hey, it is useful ...

-- TIL that Billy Warlock could have hung around DOOL until October '91 and Charlotte Ross could have hung around until '93! What would Reilly have made of Eve, I wonder.

-- "Oh, that explains it" = Jack Wagner, right?

-- Anne Heche and the DALLAS gang ride off into the sunset. "Kimberly Foster is auditioning up a storm these days."

-- I wonder if Frank Runyeon kept that Connecticut house. His next daytime gig after SB was for a few months on GH.

-- And back to not immediately awkward with Beth Ehlers' bridal shower ...

-- That photo of Colleen Dion and Darlene Conley makes it look like they're both wearing wigs (a distinct possibility for Darlene).

-- Here we were just a short while back, trying to analyze Victoria Wyndham, and she's done a good deal of the work for us.

-- I also learned Cathy Moriarty watched DOOL "from time to time"

-- Ha! The bets being settled in this issue are worth money, money and a case of Diet Coke. I also got a good laugh out of Melody Thomas Scott being the sister of Marlo or Tony.

-- Well, there was one person who liked the idea of Bill Eckert and Bobbie Jones. And I hope D.M. of Brooklyn made peace with Erica and Jackson by AMC's end.

-- "Robert and Anna are sick as lovers. I'd rather watch two slugs together."

-- All this, and Linda Dano as Elvis!

Edited by Franko

• Members

I know Warlock’s 1990 return to Days was pretty underwhelming but I wonder if he quickly regretted going back to Baywatch since both him and Eleniak both quit in 1992 and they both later broke off their engagement. 

I guess I didn’t realize the Snyder clones aka Hutchinson brothers came on so early in 1991 I was thinking more late ‘91/early ‘92 but then again they were definitely FF material. I know how Hutch left but I don’t even remember how Woody left. 

Hearst looks fun in his karate suit

LOL when I saw that I was OMG! That outfit looks like it had probably been hanging in the back of Fulton’s closet since 1987 and she just found something casual to put on.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

LOL @YRfan23 Did you see the part under the sound off section where an infamous David Kimble gets labeled by someone who wrote in as “DISTASTEFUL” ?

Someone also wrote in praising ATWT’s 35th Anniversary episode. I believe if I recall right episode ended with Tonio escaping but then falling to his “death” in the ocean while some melancholic Alison Moyet song played while we saw Tonio “drowning”.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

My favorite anachronism

What did John do with a pre-internet, pre-wifi, pre-laptop "home computer" while on remote location?  Did he need his wife to help lug it around?

Did SOD know the identity of Joey's parents?  Because in the prior issue they thought Paul was Joe's son

29 years later and SOD can still get me hooked on a cliffhanger from a random story, mostly because I still can't remember the outcome or Howie...

I forget that Jack is the Tom Hughes of Days (in terms of recasts)

Lastly, I would wager one million doll hairs that nobody has ever bet their sister, cousin, or co-worker over a question about soap history, and then waited until it was published to collect.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Here's the update on that situation (John Loprino inspired me to use my home computer for a little investigation).

Three years later Kimberly married  a businessman who pioneered multi-spectrum internet for home usage.  There were some financial setbacks but this article sums it up best (no word on if she kept her iconic hairdo):

Edited by j swift

• Members

From personal experience load up the floppy disk drive with either Where in the USA is Carmen SanDiego, Shufflepuck Café, and one of those Hugo series games.

SOD kept publishing those classic dinner bet letters all the way through 2000 or so. Some of things published in Sound/Off were really bizarre to read I wonder why SOD even published them.