SOAP OPERA DIGEST - 1991

• Members

Wow, you are correct, sir!  Mike was played by 13 actors Kyle Puerner (1968–69) Wade Holdsworth (1969) Brian Andrews (1970) Bobby Eilbacher (1970) Eddie Rayden (1970) Alan Decker (1970–71) John Amour (1971–73) Dick DeCoit (1973) Stuart Lee (1973) Wesley Eure (1974–81) Paul Coufus (1981–82) Michael T. Weiss (1985–90) Roark Critchlow (1994–99, 2010) compared to Jack's 5. 

We'll get that 1991 computer in the mail to you as soon as John Loprino's wife can post it to AskJeeves.

Edited by j swift

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hi All. Sorry for the delay. Technical issues occurred. Here is July 9, 1991. I am also going to be scanning the 1976 Daily TV Serials I have as well. So SOD 1991 might take a while

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Just a few thoughts this week

1.  Thank goodness Anna's wedding dress was changed because those rosettes are awful.  Also, that iconic hat which is engineered to make your head look as huge as a Bratz doll is as unfathomable as having a treasonous spy become a small town police chief.

2.  I laughed at the irony of hiring Gloria Monty to bring in a younger audience.  According to her plans, a younger audience in 1991 wanted to watch stories about blue-collar families lead by Carol Lawrence and Tony Geary?  That's like trying attract the kids to soaps in 2020 by mimicking TikTok memes staring Donna Pescow and Deney Terrio.

3.  As always in 1991, the stories about the production of soaps were far more compelling than the on-screen drama.  As evidenced by that long story about plot scandals with "humorous" headlines paled in comparison to the article about backstage antics and actors who dated.  BTW, I'm still trying to decide if Jon Henley was promiscuous or if he was on set for such long hours that he could only date other soap actors? 

Please register in order to view this content

Was the money from his short-lived singing career or does the Port Charles PD have an excellent 401K plan? Also, Max?  SOD really needed a better proofreader.

You know I love an anachronistic computer reference.  Also, cigarette ads.

Was Rohypnol not a thing in 1991?

7.  Finally, does anyone recall GH's Connor? From this clip, he looks like a psychotic singer who tried to appropriate New Jack Swing with harmonies from auditory hallucinogenic induced backup singers .

Edited by j swift

• Members

It probably was as by the mid-90’s in official lists; however for years Darla was just credited as Darla in the credits with no last name given. By 2004 or so I recall the show at one point referred to her as Darla Spectra Forrester, pretty badly inconsistent really. 

• Members

I feel like I'm at a classic soap wedding reading this "latest" edition. Tristan/Robert and Finola/Anna are standing before the minister. The ever-popular "If anyone has just cause to show why these two should not be married" question comes up. Close ups of Finola (ambivalent), Gloria Monty (insistent), various fans (ambivalent, insistent and vehemently opposed) and then Michael/Connor, singing his new song.

What a period of upheaval for NBC's shows. Deidre and Wayne back to DOOL, Jensen Buchanan in on AW, Marcy Walker out at SB.

Backstage Buzz #3 is Louise Sorel and Paul Rauch. I'm thinking #4 is Nicolas Coster. Not 100 percent sure, but would #5 be either Victoria Wyndham or Linda Dano regarding Anne Heche?

Zoomin' Who #1 is, I'm assuming, Colleen Zenk and Mark Pinter. #3 is Rauch again?

What Could Have Been: I wouldn't have minded seeing Natalie end up as "a young Viki Buchanan" on AMC. I guess Brooke had dibs on that role (minus the DID).

Make up your mind, SOD! You go from a story partially about non-traditional casting to a profile of the newest blonde on the block, Maria Ellingsen.

Edited by Franko