The Story of Soaps Primetime Special

• Members

Absolutely. My father was a truck driver. Obsessed with B&B. Same for my brother. 

My Uncle was an accountant and he would not go to meetings or pay any attention to his daughters when Loving was on. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How do you go from that to working with a producer who consistently puts out anti-gay material? He was at OLTL at a time when they told viewers that gay men fake hate crimes to get attention and sympathy. What bullshit.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Netflix would be ideal because Brad Bell is friends with Ted Sarandos is the Chief Content Officer at Netflix. Ted's wife is Nicole Avant. Brad created a whole family after Ted's wife, so I think Ted will take Brad's call. 

You think Jussie Smollett saw those episodes?

Your uncle and I would've gotten along just fine.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I thought the special started off well, but it got a little sad towards the end.

However, I loved seeing certain clips air. The Billy Douglas story on OLTL aired at the same time I was a teen coming out, and the story got me through a lot at the time. Seeing those scenes brought a tear to my eye.

• Members

Chris seems like a nice guy and a paycheck and a break in daytime soaps is hard to resist. 

Once a co-worker was telling a story on how her husband was laughing at a gay couple who were being affectionate and dressed loud at some gathering. I held my tongue but thought I wonder how she or her husband would react knowing she worked with a gay man.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I think you'd need to go back farther than this, tbh. The soap opera started on radio (1930s and 40s) and any series that dismisses that aspect, or the first Golden Age of Television in the 1950s and 1960s wouldn't be doing the in depth type of coverage that the genre deserves.  Covering the breadth and depth of soaps speaks to its longevity which is critical in giving it a modicum of respect that it deserves, imo.

• Members

Well that's what I meant by early years and I was going to say that having just one episode dedicated to radio and early years on TV may not be enough.

This clip posted in GH's insta illustrates what I was expecting from the special. A retrospective through the decades and the evolution of the genre from radio and early years to its golden age until now. 

• Members

@GLATWT88 ^^Sounds as if the special didn't include anything from the first 10 seconds of that IG clip, lol.  Then again, I'm side-eyeing People's involvement in it and that association right there would seriously cause me to doubt that the special would be doing anything but a superficial look.

• Members

It seemed very surface and all over the place. I was just on Laura Wright's insta and someone asked if they would include Loving on one of her posts advertising the special and she said she thinks they will and that she did speak about the show in her interview. I can't say if I remember if they did include any footage of her speaking about Loving. I know Bryan Cranston mentioned his time on the show. It also seems like they may have recorded a lot more footage than made the episode (obviously), but chose to show Andy's commentary over more relevant actors of the genre. My first post here when the special started was WOW I already feel the disrespect that they mentioned reality TV within the first minutes of the special. 

Not really having to do with the special, but Laura posted some throwback pictures of her and the cast of Loving on her insta stories the other day and tagged Rebecca Gayheart as she was in those photos.

Edited by GLATWT88

• Members

Hell, I’d be into a doc that starts with Dickens/newspaper serials and the Greeks and sh!t like that. I totally want to an opportunity to geek out and watch something over and over again. And learn.

Edited by Faulkner