The Story of Soaps Primetime Special

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Basically this needed to be five times longer and on streaming, on a relatively neutral platform with fewer self-promotional demands like Netflix. It really whet my appetite for a more thorough exploration, without ad breaks or unreasonable ratings expectations.

• Members

On the ABC app as the first thing that comes up when I checked. Worth watching? There were some enjoyable moments, but if you're expecting something new or groundbreaking you're not going to get it. 

I would like something more in depth such as a 5-part docuseries with each episode tackling a particular period or decade like the early years, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. I feel like a streaming platform would be perfect for something more in depth...I doubt a network would want to take on something like this.  

• Members

Van Etten is funny and talented, and not just in daytime. But Frank runs that show now, no one else. Based on his outside resume I'd be fine with seeing what Van Etten can do without Valentini in control.

• Members

I'm going to pour a big cocktail before watching this over the weekend.

He's right! My dad - 6'2", owned a landscaping company, loved to fish, loved sports, a real man's man - LOVED Jesse and Angie, Adam Chandler, and Erica Kane. You'd never guess it, but that's what happens when network execs and lazy "journalists" assume. 

• Members

Yes, definitely seemed like it was dancing on daytime’s grave. As if they were a thing of the past and there’s no need for them to exist anymore. 

Yeah, there’s no way this would fly on a network, especially after those ratings. But who needs the networks anymore. That’s actually part of the story they *didn’t* want to tell: that the big broadcast networks and their precious primetime programming have become just as irrelevant as the daytime soaps they’ve relegated to the ancient past.

But yeah we’ve been begging for a Ken Burns-style documentary series. Maybe even PBS would be good, but a streaming service would be ideal.