Marco Dane

The Story of Soaps Primetime Special

Why did the old clips and footage of actors rehearing look so bad? It rehashed a lot of old ground. It was all rather uninspired. But it was still decent. Until Queen Andy segment. We didn't need no damn Kardashian's. 

LOL I love how agitated EB gets. He’s always SHOUTING in his tweets like Frank Costanza. 😂 

Edited by Faulkner

8 hours ago, EricMontreal22 said:

Yes but those characters never really broke into the mainstream zeitgeist the way Luke and Laura did.  Tons of non soap viewers had some idea who Luke and Laura were.  This has only happened with a few other soap characters (Erica Kane being an obvious one).  I think Victor Newman is pretty recognizable now but still if you said "Victor and Nikki" few non viewers would have any idea who you meant.

I'm surprised they didn't show Marlena more. She's well-known, and I'm not just saying that because I love her, haha. She was possessed!!! And they even interviewed Deidre! They could've utilized her star power better. 

Just now, Gray Bunny said:

I'm surprised they didn't show Marlena more. She's well-known, and I'm not just saying that because I love her, haha. She was possessed!!! And they even interviewed Deidre! They could've utilized her star power better. 

Basically this needed to be five times longer and on streaming, on a relatively neutral platform with fewer self-promotional demands like Netflix. It really whet my appetite for a more thorough exploration, without ad breaks or unreasonable ratings expectations.

2 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

No mention of Laura Wright on GL..lol

Writer Chris Van Etten is adorable.

Laura Wright and her entitled resting bitch face.

Van Etten is adorable. But a total hack.His voice is sexy.

130ff58b55cda58967274056da650866.gif

15 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

I totally missed this. Is this thing on Demand and is it worth watching?

On the ABC app as the first thing that comes up when I checked. Worth watching? There were some enjoyable moments, but if you're expecting something new or groundbreaking you're not going to get it. 

21 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Basically this needed to be five times longer and on streaming, on a relatively neutral platform with fewer self-promotional demands like Netflix. It really whet my appetite for a more thorough exploration, without ad breaks or unreasonable ratings expectations.

I would like something more in depth such as a 5-part docuseries with each episode tackling a particular period or decade like the early years, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. I feel like a streaming platform would be perfect for something more in depth...I doubt a network would want to take on something like this.  

15 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

Van Etten is adorable. But a total hack.His voice is sexy.

It's sad considering he grew up on soaps and the Billy Douglas story gave him the courage to come out.

Van Etten is funny and talented, and not just in daytime. But Frank runs that show now, no one else. Based on his outside resume I'd be fine with seeing what Van Etten can do without Valentini in control.

I'm going to pour a big cocktail before watching this over the weekend.

53 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

God bless Eric Braeden! :D  

He's right! My dad - 6'2", owned a landscaping company, loved to fish, loved sports, a real man's man - LOVED Jesse and Angie, Adam Chandler, and Erica Kane. You'd never guess it, but that's what happens when network execs and lazy "journalists" assume. 

21 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I didn't watch but do folks agree with this sentiment?

Yes, definitely seemed like it was dancing on daytime’s grave. As if they were a thing of the past and there’s no need for them to exist anymore. 

30 minutes ago, GLATWT88 said:

On the ABC app as the first thing that comes up when I checked. Worth watching? There were some enjoyable moments, but if you're expecting something new or groundbreaking you're not going to get it. 

I would like something more in depth such as a 5-part docuseries with each episode tackling a particular period or decade like the early years, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s. I feel like a streaming platform would be perfect for something more in depth...I doubt a network would want to take on something like this.  

Yeah, there’s no way this would fly on a network, especially after those ratings. But who needs the networks anymore. That’s actually part of the story they *didn’t* want to tell: that the big broadcast networks and their precious primetime programming have become just as irrelevant as the daytime soaps they’ve relegated to the ancient past.

But yeah we’ve been begging for a Ken Burns-style documentary series. Maybe even PBS would be good, but a streaming service would be ideal.

14 minutes ago, mikelyons said:

I'm going to pour a big cocktail before watching this over the weekend.

He's right! My dad - 6'2", owned a landscaping company, loved to fish, loved sports, a real man's man - LOVED Jesse and Angie, Adam Chandler, and Erica Kane. You'd never guess it, but that's what happens when network execs and lazy "journalists" assume. 

Absolutely. My father was a truck driver. Obsessed with B&B. Same for my brother. 

My Uncle was an accountant and he would not go to meetings or pay any attention to his daughters when Loving was on.