The Story of Soaps Primetime Special

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nice to see soaps get some prime time action, too bad it took a pandemic for it to happen.

I wonder where ABC dug this up from though? I can't imagine it having been aired on ABC ordinairly, so I wonder what channel they originally produced this for.

• Members

I do hope they acknowledge Irna Phillips as the pioneer of the genre. 

I always said ABC should look into producing cost-effective 30 minute daytime soaps with a few soap veterans in the cast. 

I wonder is Susan Lucci apart of this ? 

Edited by Forever8

• Webmaster

ABC to Air Two-Hour Primetime Special, ‘The Story of Soaps’

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2020/04/abc-people-the-story-of-soaps-primetime-special

These are the people set to appear in the special:

I got an email from someone at Meredith Corporation about this in September. It didn't seem like it would  have been ready to air at that time. I'm just happy that it'll air during May sweeps even though that isn't much of a thing anymore, especially now.

• Members

Pleasantly surprised it's not just actors from ABC. Solid lineup overall.

Cringing that Denise Richards, who's not even a blip in the soap world, gets included because she's a "star" and that Eileen Davidson gets double-billed because she's a "reality star."

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I’m always happy they still do things like this acknowledge soaps but I remember being disappointed when POP did the special a few years ago so I hope this is somewhat of an improvement...

I agree about Denise Richards...she’s just on because she’s a “name”.

• Members

I'm excited that this exists, and of course I'll watch, but that promo turns me off a lot. First of all, what the fck I need Andy Cohen telling me anything about soaps for? Second, the first thing out of his mouth is "When people think about soaps, they think about daytime - that's not the whole story." So that already tells me that the majority of this will be about two things: people who started on soaps and went on to other things and looking back at primetime TV of the last 20 years because basically everything is serialized.

I'll watch it, but I'll be grouchy the entire time.

• Members

While I'm sure they'll dedicate a lot of airtime to how daytime influenced prime time to be more serialized, they do at least mention how female writers started at doing radio soaps in the description. With that said, I could do without Andy Cohen talking about how brilliant he is for creating those trashy housewives reality shows.

• Members

If it, in some miraculous world, is what jump starts a return of AMC and OLTL, I'll take it, but I feel like this special has already been done. If anything, I'll be watching to see if there are any new insights from the real soap stars and, most important for me, if they roll out any classic clips that we might not have seen already. I understand, though, that this is probably targeted to casual fans or non-fans, not us, so I can't get mad at them for not catering to what we want.