The Story of Soaps Primetime Special

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you. I thought they were an AMC couple since he does have a good relationship with Kelly Ripa and has mentioned Lucci a lot in the past. 

Wow, nice to see the actress who played Kristen Shepard on Dallas. I was binging the show a while ago and am still watching although at a much slower rate. She's looking great. 

• Members

That and Luke & Laura didn’t last the whole decade. I always felt Luke & Laura unfairly get talked too much when it comes to soaps yet Victor & Nikki’s  is permanently cemented in a movie like Mr. Mom lol. Haha just my two cents and bias as a Y&R fan.

But Tom & Margo were definitely a couple that survived it all from illegitimate kids from affairs to horrible scenarios to awkward recasts. I don’t think any other soap couple were able to survive that much and yet still have an invested audience at the end of the day.

• Members

There's been a lot of renewed energy around classic soaps in the past few years. Hopefully this generates some sort of reboot of any of the recently cancelled dramas or some kind of streaming episode release or streaming reboot. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

They’re comparing all of these real life scandals to soaps, but news coverage of scandals still missed so much of what we love about soaps. There was no happy side of real life scandals, no warmth or positivity. There was no focus on how these scandals affected those involved on a personal day-to-day basis. It was just the big ugly drama and nothing else to balance it out. Notice how most of today’s serialized primetime dramas lack all of these things, too.

The people all giggly-faced waiting for the OJ verdict were awful.

• Members

I probably would have left this entire segment out or would have definitely refocused to describe how the traditional failed out yet instead blaming OJ. LOL some soaps where completely unaffected by OJ at all, it was 1996 where it fell it out.

Edited by soapfan770