Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@BoldRestless Jeanne Cooper's birth date is October 25, 1928 so she was 45 when she started on Y&R in late 1973 and 55 when she had the facelift in early 1984. Compare how Jeanne looked in that age range to current female cast members in that age range, ie. Amelia Heinle (47), Sharon Case (49), Lauralee Bell (52 in December), Michelle Stafford (55), and holy difference. 

Same goes for the males. Eric Braeden (born April 3, 1941) was 38 when he started on Y&R in February 1980 and was 48 at the end of the 1980s. Compare how Eric looked in the 1980s to current male cast members in that age range, ie. Jordi Vilasuso (39), Donny Boaz (40 in December), Greg Rikaart (43), Jason Thompson (44 in November), Joshua Morrow (46), and once again holy difference.

1970s/1980s styling I think played a big part in why those in 40s and 50s looked so much older than what we're used to seeing those in their 40s and 50s look like in 2020.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

A lot of people in their 30s-50s are aging slower than their parents. Probably due to most people not having as many kids, smoking education, and better lifestyle practices. Even the 20 year olds on the show  look  younger compared to actors 25 years ago. It’s probably why Kyle and Summer always look like a teen couple rather than adults lol 

• Members

I would wager that those ladies have had a little intervention along the way (Botox etc) that wasn't available back in the 70's as well as those other factors.

Look at Marla Adams who has had no work done, I admit I was surprised when she came back on as it was confronting to see a woman with wrinkles. 

• Members

Jeanne was born just before the depression and was a heavy smoker and drinker and Eric was born in Germany during WWII, not an easy period for either. Those other actors would have lived a fairly privlleged and I am betting middle or upper middle class life. They also grew up at a time when health and beauty in the film and television industry was more important than skill, so their focus would be on staying young looking. Compare people like Jordi, Donny etc... with people living in poorer social ecomonic circumstances. I bet those people will look much older. 

Young people today tend to stay home with their parents until they are 25 (I remember most leaving home at 18) and honestly 18 - 25 year olds seem so young mentally these days as well. They seem more like 15 - 18 year olds. I don't mean dumb but just less mature, but I would say the same of many people my age too (late 30's)

• Members

Styling has a lot to do with it too. 20somethings were dressed in business suits with shoulder pads, heavy makeup and huge hair. Eileen Davidson and Tracey Bregman seemed much older than their own age in the 80s, but it did them well, because now it seems that they've hardly aged. Sometimes I think they look better now! 

In contrast today with the deglamorization of the show, the actors wear much more casual clothing and look younger. They hang out in coffee shops all day. Most of them don't seem believable as wealthy people and CEOs. It was an event when you saw Victor in casual clothes. You never saw Jeanne dressed that way except as Marge.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I have not, but will be hurrying over now to check it all out - thanks so much! I agree with everything you said, the dialogue was simple but rich in its nuance. I think Katherine deliberately knew, and not addressing it made the scene so much richer. Not sure what happened with Brenda, but she was equally great here.

Edited by StepBack

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I’ve still got a few classics left. Just finished Victor visiting his dad. That was really fantastic stuff. Especially once he broke down outside of his dad’s room with Nicholas watching. His dad was a freakin monster.

It’s crazy how much the GCAC was used in these classics and even up until I guess the last two years, to now be replaced by ugly ass Society and the Grand Phoenix.

Phyllis and Christine should still be feuding. I know LLB is recurring but they don’t use her like ever now. Also I feel like Christine should’ve ended up with Danny instead of Paul.

• Members

TASTE!!

ITA, and your comments about Christine, Danny and Paul are spot-on.

At least, there would have been a more logical explanation for Christine's absences-travelling with Danny on tour.  Who knows? Not being tied to Christine might have freed up Paul for other storylines, like being an interloper in Lauren and Michael's marriage. As it is, all four have had scant storylines for years now.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Update: all the Y&R Classic episodes that aired during the pandemic break of Summer 2020, are now up on Paramount Plus.
(Paramount Plus is the new name for CBS All Access, and it also includes other stuff).

I know the epis are in the vault, but if you want to show someone an epi and not disclose the vault, this is a way to do it.

fyi, Paramount Plus won't work on my old computer but it works great as a paid add-on to my Amazon Prime subscription.

======

******* CORRECTION/ CLARIFICATION ..
the Y&R classics from Summer 2020
are only available if ...

.... if you purchase Paramount Plus as an add-on to Amazon Prime, and then watch while logged into Amazon Prime.

But if you buy Paramount Plus directly from Paramount Plus, you cannot see the Y&R classics.

Edited by janea4old