Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Such sad news - can't imagine how the Marsalis family is feeling right now. And so many others. I love "That Thing You Do" - a timeless pop ballad.

I am just enraged about the threats against Fauci. Enraged because I can't even be surprised. The man wants to help people and the Trump cult lunatics want to kill him because of their neverending Clinton obsessions. Wretched. They are scum.

Speaking of Mississippi.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/01/coronavirus-state-governors-best-worst-covid-19-159945

Edited by DRW50

• Members

While China has been known to hide and obfuscate information, this article articulates something that may have caused China's numbers to be understated--the fact that their health ministry set a very high bar in the early days for what constituted a confirmed COVID-19 case, which left out many cases that were either asymptomatic, mild or delayed onset of symptoms.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/infected-but-feeling-fine-the-unwitting-coronavirus-spreaders/ar-BB120M2c

• Members

It's an interesting occurrence in NYC with people who had originally come from other states now fleeing the city, especially given the data that shows that people flocking to the city in the past 15 years or so, was looked at as a cause of skyrocketing rents and a concentration of companies that have flocked there (in particular, tech companies that had begun to eschew Silicon Valley) as well as an exodus of working class and working poor people, predominantly of color (NYC lost a large chunk of its black population during that time).

Large numbers of people who were born and raised in NYC had left previously, not being able to afford it, which makes me wonder, what happens if there is an extended exodus of people moving back to their home states hoping to avoid contagion? The people who were in NYC for generations but moved to other states during the Great Recession are unlikely to return as they've settled and made new lives in other states like Pennsylvania and Georgia. 

My family who live there, I don't see them leaving NYC.  They've been there since they migrated to the U.S. in the 1970s. They were there when Ford told NYC to "drop dead".  They were there through the crack epidemic, a huge homeless problem (which unfortunately has become a problem again), through riots (Crown Heights taking place on my aunt's doorstep practically).  They were there through 9/11 and Stop and Frisk and K-2 spate of public overdoses(or whatever that drug is named).  They are pretty much rooted there.

• Members

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we now live in an America where a man's life is threatened simply for telling the truth.

Exactly.

Y'know, about the only GOOD thing to come out of this outbreak might be exposing Republicans for the morons they really are.

Edited by Khan