Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

WOW to the ankle monitors. Has it gotten that serious? I guess so. #stayathome

And the more information that keeps being unearthed about how Obama planned for everything like a good leader should (gotta love that foresight) and that Trump just ignored it or sabotaged the more my blood runs red. 

Hehe. Cute. 

Due to the decreasing work hours I will try to resist.  

• Members

The NAACP hosting a virtual town hall summit with the current surgeon general is a two-edged sword, with Jerome Adams' history.  Next time (should there be a next time), the NAACP may want to find another scientist/doctor who has not presided over one of the worst health crises a state has experienced in the past several decades.

Many Black men are beginning to express their ambivalence about wearing masks in countries like the U.S. where police shoot unarmed blacks at an alarming rate.

• Members

I read last week about several young black men at, I think, Wal-Mart, who were kicked out for wearing masks. 

As you said, there's no data, but I read somewhere about the high number of black casualties in the US compared to population amount...you can sort of see that in some of the stories, like when they mentioned the first five NYPD officers who passed away, and all of them were black. And the only governors Trump is giving any serious amount of supplies to are red state governors who have no use for black people. 

I saw an article last month with Adams, one of those "he's different now because of Trump" articles everyone working for him gets, and they suggested he was able to do some of the right things in Indiana about the HIV epidemic. Considering what a trainwreck Pence's policies were, I can't imagine him letting any real help through to be honest.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/has-the-us-surgeon-general-caught-a-bad-case-of-trumpism

• Members

And, I'm sorry to say, I'm one of 'em.  The CDC might recommend we all wear masks in public for the time being; however, I'm worried that'll just give racists another excuse (as if they ever needed one, lol) to marginalize and even harm POC like myself.

I always believed reckoning would come for Donald Trump and the rest of the GOP.  But, I never thought so many others -- namely, those who weren't necessarily supportive of them -- would get caught in the metaphorical crossfire.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's definitely crossed my mind on more than one occasion, as it concerns the men in my family. At least the ones who live here in the U.S.  This is not a concern for my family that live in the Caribbean.

There's a podcast that Jonathan Capeheart did with Susan Rice (I'll admit that I have yet to listen to it) where Rice is saying that the Obama administration and she personally helped to compile, a 60 page document on what to do in case of a pandemic (she describes it as a kind of "For Dummies" guide) for the incoming Trump administration. Without question that guide was tossed to the side.