Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This is why I'm side-eye all the fawning and hagiography surrounding Gov. Cuomo these days. Cuomo and DeBlasio have a history of squabbling and pettiness toward each other, leaving issues unresolved at even the best of times.  And this fawning is too reminiscent of the hagiography surrounding Giuliani after 9/11 (not comparing to two, Giuliani has always been horrible) which makes me very uncomfortable.

• Members

It's this car crash type of fawning you know will reach backlash proportions soon enough. I can see why some feel comforted by his press conferences, but his record as governor seems too punishing for the people of New York to warrant the full adulation (not that adulation of any politician is ever a great idea). 

This has also led to the usual conspiracy theories that he will be on the ticket, which makes no real sense. 

I saw some responses to how Fauci responded to these questions yesterday - basically that he was dehumanizing and blaming black patients for their sickness. Whether that was his intent or not, it just reminded me of how catastrophic it is to have this happening with the current administration in place, as the callousness means even those in power who may care will have no ability to help. 

• Members

I just saw a clip with Trump, and apparently we're suffering really badly here in Sweden..... 

Please register in order to view this content

Strange.... He must have a very different definition of the word "suffering" than I do, and probably most everyone else who is actually living here in Sweden.  

• Members

Hopefully this sticks as the legacy of this crisis.

My friends in Singapore have been telling me about this. You can be fined $10,000 for leaving your house while sick (even without COVID). Just shows how a return to normalcy can be fleeting.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

But wasn't Singapore already prone to strict penalties for things like gum chewing? Other countries are also harshly penalizing people who violate curfew and/stay-in-place rules right now. 

A few of these clips came across my TL and I thought she brought up some issues that need more amplification.  

• Members

I agree. It's sad hearing her in  interviews now say the same damn thing she was saying when she was running and nobody listened to any of it, yet we're seeing that much of it would be useful *right now.*  It's just insane how short-sighted people are.